Don't Let the Poetry Die | Teen Ink

Don't Let the Poetry Die

By Nevah GOLD, Horseheads, New York
Nevah GOLD, Horseheads, New York

From my own observations of my age group, I’ve seen almost no poetry books. I can honestly say that such books are rarely in my bag, and I claim myself a poet. I cannot think of a greater tragedy than the shunning of poetry by the young population. Most high school students wouldn’t dare venture past their textbooks and into the tiny section of poetry in the bookstore. Most don’t dare go past the beautiful faces described in romance novels, or listen to the quiet beauty of a well written verse that is muffled by written gunfire. I myself have often indulged in the alluring mist of blunt fiction, and have trouble squeezing between the lines of poetry and looking beyond the written word. The sophisticated language can leave me feeling barbaric and simple, and I question my self-given title of poet. But, I believe our lack of sophistication in language is not the only issue. What about the language they teach in school, or the language they use in the poems themselves. One of them has to give and become more efficient. Teach us the vocabulary of the sophisticated. Use simpler words that will invite us instead of scaring us away. Maybe this year, someone will pick up a book of poetry and find something tantalizing and sexy, charming, disgusting, simple and soothing. All of which poetry has always been.

I feel as though there is very little recognition for a poet by the pulic now a days. Everyone's busy obsessing over fiction with no real depth.

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Poetry has done so much for mankind, I sincerely hope it is equally important in the future. It is such a beautiful thing. Many teenagers have no idea how much it would benefit them to take an interest in it.