Female Self-Image/Super-Model BMI | Teen Ink

Female Self-Image/Super-Model BMI

November 28, 2007
By Anonymous

Are super-models becoming too skinny? Does the world put too much pressure on the models to be flawless and perfect? Do women of all ages look up to models? Super-models are looking too skinny and too unhealthy in the world and need to have a required weight or body mass index before becoming a model.

Super-models affect women in many ways. They are role models for women of any age, especially the younger teens. The standard for how a girl should look is set by the models of this world. Magazines, television, advertisements, billboard ads, etc., are seen everywhere; and the idea of how the model’s body looks is very influencing.

The models get pushed tremendously by the industry to be perfect. Because the industry pushes the models to be flawless, they will do anything to get there. Plastic surgery is done frequently to fix the so-called-abnormal appearance. Eating disorders, such as, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating are common in almost every model. The risks and effects of the eating disorders and plastic surgeries should be enough not to do it, but models get pushed so much that it seems to be the only way to continue their future and dreams. When super-models have eating disorders, they start to look frail, fragile, and unhealthy. The models should want to be healthy for themselves, yet they settle for the image of “perfection.”

Super-models should be required to have a certain body mass index (BMI). BMI is a statistical measure of the weight of a person scaled according to height. The BMI of a person is determined by the individual’s body weight divided by the square of their height. Spain has a required BMI for models, and more than likely this requirement will encourage healthier weight with the model industry. A required BMI should be enforced because our world is in need of more healthy- looking models. Women, teenagers, and girls need to be able to look up to a super-model and not desire to lose weight or be as “perfect” as the model. Models need some body fat, rather than appearing all skin and bones.

Models might argue that they are naturally skinny due to their metabolism. They also might say that they love modeling so much that they don’t mind losing weight or getting plastic surgery. The pressure of the industry might be so convincing that they compromise what they want and do what the industry wants. If models purposely destroy their bodies, they might argue that they like the control aspect of the disorder. It might be very difficult for them to give that up without therapy or help. Models could possibly defend themselves by stating their appearance should be their own business and no one else’s. However, if a model keeps that mentality, it will affect her health extremely. She will also continue to negatively influence other women.

In conclusion, body image will always be a concern to females. However, body mass index should be required in the United States, for super-models to keep from looking so unhealthy and too skinny because of their influence. A required BMI will give women a positive example of wellness and beauty. The modeling industry, in return, will gain more respect.