Death of the World | Teen Ink

Death of the World

September 14, 2010
By Bethi SILVER, Winston, Oregon
Bethi SILVER, Winston, Oregon
5 articles 12 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every soul is a poem" -Michael Franti


Do you see the world? Do you see this dark thing? The shadows which rise up from out of the ground. They stretch out their great arms as a plague. We all conform to the same problems. The same hates. The same meaningless lives. We hide behind the shadows. The thought of a real life, of decisions, of facing the disaster that is our existence seems so far out of reach, so dangerous, that none stop to wonder. None stop to think, what if?

The clouds are as smoke. They billow, they brew. Choking the lungs, cutting the heart. They shade the world in an eternal darkness. A darkness which we ourselves have made; which we ourselves have allowed to occur. We have stroked the fire and nurtured the flames. The havoc in which we find ourselves is nothing more than our own reflections. We are reflected in everything we see and do. The air is infected with us and there is nothing we can do to stop this disease.

The stench of death lingers all around us. Bodies litter the sidewalks. Yet we do not care to see this truth. We are blind to the things which make up our world. We do not hear the gunfire, the explosions. Our ears are numb and bleeding from the exposure but we feel no pain. The drugs which flow through our bodies leave us at a flat-line. Can you see this death? Can you feel the heat of the fires which burn the bodies at our feet? Is it not you who allowed this to happen? Is it not us?

Our naivety is restless. Endless through time. Mistake after endless mistake. Death after merciless death. Hatred after hatred after hatred. Our world is torn. It is broken. We are the pieces. We are the life. We are the things that keep this going. But does this help us? Do we understand? How do we not realize the pointlessness of it all? The darkness is all around us. We kill for nothing. The killing leads to killing. Death is the result of the things we seek. And despite our knowledge, we are blind to it. We continue to fight. We continue to kill.

We continue to die.

The author's comments:
View of the wrongs of the world