Today I Think I Will... Create A Universe | Teen Ink

Today I Think I Will... Create A Universe

July 2, 2011
By julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon
17 articles 17 photos 223 comments

Favorite Quote:
The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.


Creation: It is such a simple word, with such a profound effect on the cosmos. The creation of the universe is a mystery. The creation of life is also a mystery, as well as a highly significant event around which lies a world of controversy. The most controversial issue around that topic is this question: are we alone in the universe?

The odds that the universe is absolutely devoid of all life besides that on Earth are highly improbable if thought of in this manner. Suppose the universe is endless, or suppose that there are an endless amount of universes (wait, what? Go look up M-Theory). We’re talking about infinity here. In theory it would not be possible to have an infinitely extending universe without also having life exist in its every possible configuration. In my opinion, an endless universe would even guarantee the existence of IDENTICAL replicas of our own planet, just due to the nature of infinity itself. Maybe some earths would have variations as well. Imagine an earth where the dinosaurs never went extinct, and the Allosaurus eventually evolved brains to become the dominant life form on the planet! The possibilities are truly endless. Look no further than your imagination to see what else could be conceivable.

This leads us to another intriguing question. Can our human population reach these other worlds? This is a tough one to answer. It is debatable whether we can, due to the immense distances involved. Even at light speed, it can take hundreds of years to reach a star. There must be another way to travel interstellar distances. What about using our brain power? Neuroscience is rapidly growing, yet there is still much to learn about the brain and its abilities. I believe our mind’s untapped power can open up new pathways to inter-dimensional travel. In fact, many people believe we already travel to other realms and dimensions in our dreams! I believe our minds can not only take us through to other dimensions, I believe they also contain the ultimate power of creation as well. I am saying that we can not only create soup recipes; or architectural blueprints; (which we obviously can) I am saying that we can bring whole universes into existence. I am saying that Tatooine exists, as well as Middle Earth. The mind is an extremely powerful entity, capable of reality-changing paradigms. Imagine if every single person on the planet believed that 2+2=6. Our whole math system would change! The real implication is this. I am saying that you, an intelligent human being, can tap into your imagination and create a unique universe with its own set of laws. Perhaps you will give your universe life as well, and create a customized system of interaction among that life. You do not have to be religious and believe in gods, or God, (depending on your faith). You only have to believe in yourself and the capabilities of your incredible mind in order to make a significant difference in the universe.

The author's comments:
My greatest idea is the theory that our minds can change the cosmos. Imagination may be more important to the universe than we realize.