Look on the bright side! | Teen Ink

Look on the bright side!

July 7, 2008
By Anonymous

I turned on the morning news yesterday. The headline was 'Gas prices hit all new high!'. I had heard enough of that, so I changed the channel to another news station. "7 people killed in car crash by drunk driver" said the anchor. Once again I changed the channel, hoping for something to start out my day that wasn't depressing. This station was airing a special about how no matter who won the presidential election, America was going down the drain. I just turned the TV off at this point. Sometimes I wonder, is the world really all that bad? If you turn on the news, you'll think that there's no possible way you're going to make it! What with economic problems, gas prices, disease, and disaster; It sure does seem like a big mess. Are we really? Or are we just making it seem that way through our broken perspective? Maybe there's a bright side out there, we just ignore it. Let's look at some things we don't hear on the news. Employment is close to 98% here in the US. Relief is getting sent to people in Myanmar and China. More and more children from around the world are getting books, thanks to some great organizations. Missionaries and relief workers are building homes for those who have never even seen a hammer. Third-world countries are talking peace, and terrorist attacks are few and far between. Hey, at least we have the news to inform us about problems! I don't know what you think, but it would be a whole lot worse. I'm greatful I've got gas in my car, a roof over my head, and food on my table. I think we take so much for granted, and we don't realize how good we have it! I wish we could have a channel that did nothing but Good News, then we might not see the world as so bad. So now when you see the news, for every bad thing you hear, think of one good thing that's happening. Choose to focus on the good. Look on the bright side!