Growing Up | Teen Ink

Growing Up

By sweetdollsarah BRONZE, Hemet, California
sweetdollsarah BRONZE, Hemet, California

"Love me or Hate me it's still an obsession." --I don't know who wrote or said this quote got it off a friends school book and it stuck with me. "Pickles!" --I just say this all the time!! "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." -- Woody Allen

Growing up, is a lot like cough syrup, it sounds like a good idea when you feel sick, but when your done drinking it, there's a sour bittersweet taste left over in your mouth. Leaving you wishing you hadn't thought it was such a good idea, but knowing you can't go back and change your mind. Then when it starts kicking in, and making you feel better, you start think, wow that wasn't so bad.

But sometimes you get moments when you can almost taste it again, and you almost think, that it wasn't worth feeling better. That in all actuality you would have rather had the cough. It's like when you leave childhood behind, and you finally feel good about it, you begin to remember how much fun it was. Like when you built tunnels in the grimy thick sand, just to see if you could make a bridge. Or when you built snow men, with the most ridiculous looking deformed candy, just because you could. Or those times when you made a new friend everyday, and how everyone was your best friend, because they could be.

But childhood ends. As does the sickly sweet taste of the cough syrup. And we have to move on, but we'll always remember the taste. Just like we'll always remember the sounds, and smells of childhood. It'll bring us back to times when it was easier for us to be happy. Easier for us to forget our worries. The ironic truth is, it wasn't hard to grow up. In fact it was easy. It was the leaving childhood that was hard. But sometimes, we have to be 'big kids' and take our cough syrup.