"This I Believe" | Teen Ink

"This I Believe"

October 10, 2012
By laxbro23 BRONZE, Northbridge, Massachusetts
laxbro23 BRONZE, Northbridge, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever thought about how playing sports or being active in any way could affect your life? Well, studies show that people that are less active tend to have more health issues and even be less happy then those who participate in daily fitness. I strongly believe that participating in sports for the majority of my childhood has benefited me in multiple ways such as making friends and staying healthy. Not to mention it keeps me out of trouble!
A perfect example of how participating is sports has helped me to make friends is my first year of Mount Saint Charles Academy. I came to this school knowing one or two people at the most and to be honest, I was a bit worried about not knowing anyone. However, a week or two before school started, soccer tryouts were held. Since I have played soccer almost every year of my life since I was 4, I decided to tryout. Fortunately, the team was not the only thing that I made! I also made a few new friends and was exposed to some new faces which I would later recognize when school began. If I did not choose to participate in soccer at MSC, I probably wouldn’t have made friends as quickly as I did. Another benefit I gained by trying out for Mount soccer, was the daily fitness. Although it has worn me out, the tiring-perfunctory-kill-me-now kind of practice every day has kept me active and off of the couch. In addition, I have GREATLY improved my soccer skills and understanding of the game this year, as the level of which the coaches demand is a great change from town soccer.
The point of that story is that although playing sports and being active can be fun, it can also change your life for the better. It will keep you active, out of trouble, and most importantly healthy. Playing sports is not the only way to stay active. Things such as going to the gym, going for walks, or even doing yard work are better than sitting on the couch all day. That is why I strongly believe and would strongly encourage anybody that participating in sports or any of the above activities can change your life in the long run!


The author's comments:
I'm a 14 year old boy who enjoys playing sports and hanging out with his friends!