Negative vs. Positive | Teen Ink

Negative vs. Positive

By Whilloh PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
Whilloh PLATINUM, Austin, Texas

"Would you like a jelly baby?" - The Doctor

Imagine what life would be like if things were really bad at home, school, or everywhere. At home parents might fight, and maybe abuse. At school grades are bad, with little to no friends. Now imagine that the people you talked to were mean and negative. Would you consider death? Would your answer be the same if everyone you talked to was positive? Keep that in mind as you read the rest of this.

Books like The Thirteen Reasons Why really make you think. They make you think about how much, or how little, it takes to drive someone to suicide. After reading a book like that, I’ve started to really watch what I say, and what I don’t say. I’ll one day find myself telling the emo girl who no one talks to that I like her hair, or inviting her to join me at lunch. Little things like that I know will make a difference in their lives.

While watching what you do and don’t say is a good way to ease someone’s pain, even just a little, so is being positive. Trust me, being positive or negative can really affect someone’s day. You can trust me on this because I have a personal experience with it.

My friends usually have very positive attitudes, but there are days when they’re really negative. When that happens, everyone else is influenced by their attitude and is negative or in a bad mood for the rest of the day. Imagine what yet another bad day is like for people considering suicide. Absolutely nothing good.

Just because being negative is easier doesn’t mean its the good thing to do. At least, not in large amounts or often. You have to balance out being positive and negative. How? By looking at the negatives AND positives to everything! For example, homework can be boring and hard, but it prepares you for the next class and you practice what you've learned in class, which could be the difference between passing and failing.That’s what I always do. When I’m given a problem, I look at all the pros and cons to each solution. Then I pick the best solution. I also do that when I’m making decisions.

I think that all people should look at the pros and cons of everything. Always try hard to see the positives, because they can sometimes be kinda hard to see. Sometimes the good things about school hides from people. A few of schools positives are: preparing you for the real world, giving you a safe place to go when things are bad at home, and it’s a place for you to meet new people. When they’re found, the positives to things can really brighten your day. I’m always positive because I look at the negatives and positives to everything. Because of that, I rarely have bad days. Like when I can’t go see a movie one day. Not being able to see the movie is bad, but I can always go see it another day, and at home my family and I can watch a movie together, which is always better than going out to the theatre.

Positive things are easier to find when you don’t focus on the negatives. Yes, negative things exist, but don’t obsess over them. It’s not healthy. Also, when other people are being negative, it’ll be easier for you to stay positive and possibly cheer the other person up. You can show them the positive side to things. Or maybe you’ll be so positive they catch your positiveness!

This is a personal essay. :)