Space Vs. Sea Travel | Teen Ink

Space Vs. Sea Travel

The Final Frontiers:
Space vs Deep Sea Exploration

Everyone has dreamed of seeing the vast and near infinite reaches of space. There are tons of science fiction films and shows detailing the incredible travels of certain two-hearted time-traveling aliens or the crew of amazing star ships. There are many films about exploring the deepest, darkest valleys of the ocean floor, usually including a rather large sea monster. But, as much as it pains me to say, that just isn't going to happen. At least not while companies and the government argue over the ins and outs, ups and downs, and the usual 'which is better than the other'. I cannot say which is better (SPACE TRAVEL ALL THE WAY!) but I will say which I think we should pursue. Which of the 'final frontiers' deserves our attention? I say deep sea travel because it is cheaper, easier, and is way closer than space travel.

Space shuttles can cost upwards of $1.7 billion dollars (not to mention the rockets that propel it to space) where as a deep sea diving submarine may only cost near $640,000 dollars. Add that to all the people, materials, supplies, and time it takes to build and launch the shuttle, and it costs one pretty penny. The cost for a deep-sea submersible is a small portion of that. The crews for a sub are usually three or four people, whereas the crew for a shuttle goes from three to six people. The time it takes for each 'mission' varies greatly. A space mission lasts around 6 months on average. A mission for deep sea can last hours, and they can come back anytime they need or want.

Astronauts go through vigorous training. They have to go through the g-force training, using the giant centrifuge, to resist the massive thrust of the rockets. They have to be in peak physical shape, and have to get used to a new diet of dried food. Deep sea divers have to be prepared in much the same way, but without the incredible effort of astronauts. They go through preparation courses that train them to be comfortable around cramped spaces, and how to use all the technology. Training takes one year for astronauts. To be considered an actual diver, you need at least 625 hours of diving under your belt, a little less than a month.

Sure, space may have a ton more potential resources, but it's just not realistic right now. We can manage to go the moon. As of today, the deepest depth we have reached in a piloted submarine is 6.8 miles, made by James Cameron himself. Yes, the moon is a lot farther away, but the technology to go further with manned shuttles just doesn't exist. Sure we can send robots out there, but the deep sea is closer. It is easier to reach, and much more realistic than space travel as of now. The potential that the deep sea holds for us is just too much too ignore to try to go to space right now.

Even though space travel seems so much cooler than deep sea diving, it's just not realistic. The costs are much higher, the time it takes to launch missions is way longer, and the benefit just doesn't out way the effort. We need to pay more attention to the deeps than the outer reaches. After all, space is ever-expanding in all directions, while our world can only shrink.

. said...
I don't really think that deep, deep sea travel is any more available to humans as space travel right now.  The deeper under you go, the more pressure is pressing down on you, until finally you break.  We just don't have the recourses to create a submarine that can go that deep.  Added to this, the deeper under you live, the larger you have to be, and so the sea-creatures at the very bottom of the deepest part of the ocean are most certainly enormous.  I'm not the superstitious type, and I believe little or none in popular folklore, but I truly think that down there in the depths, where no one can see, much less go, there lives the creature that was described in the Book of Job: The Leviathan.  Great article though, very well constructed, and correct on many lines.