Mirrors | Teen Ink

Mirrors

By kpeacock SILVER, Hainesport, New Jersey
kpeacock SILVER, Hainesport, New Jersey

"I go to seek a Great Perhaps."

Mirrors reflect how you see yourself as a person. They are magnifying glasses that inflate your insecurities which take over your mind, body, and spirit. They cause you to change your perspective of yourself, for the good or the bad.

Mirrors can harm you. Every glance at the glass causes you to become obsessed with the pressure of perfection. You struggle to be the best you can, without realizing you're in danger.

Mirrors cause you to title yourself harshly. Fat, ugly, weird-looking. Big nose, small ears, plump lips. The way you see yourself is heartbreaking and disgusting.

Mirrors are liars and bullies. They convince you that you have a million flaws that need to be perfected right away. They push you around by saying you have to look a certain way to be happy and beautiful.

Mirrors are weak. In reality, they don't have the power to make you feel bad about yourself. They don't have the power to make you happy or unhappy.

Mirrors can make you stronger. If you ignore the main layer of the glass when you look through, you realize there's more than looks. To be beautiful means to accept yourself. To be beautiful means to be happy with the way you look, no matter what.

This is just a reminder that you're beautiful and amazing!