How well do you know your neighbors? | Teen Ink

How well do you know your neighbors?

November 7, 2013
By Fedexfighter BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
Fedexfighter BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How much time has you or your family spent in front of an electronic device? I have been noticing that many people own a smart phone now a days. I see that a group of friends can’t be together without pulling out a phone or tweeting “out with the friends”# Awesome. We have lost our connection to our natural ways of becoming a friend. As the electronic age blossoms, we become shy and introverted. Material things have destroyed our natural way of living.

As a young kid sitting on my porch, I noticed that my mom went for walks around the neighborhood just to get to know them. Now, the technology wasn’t extremely prevalent, occasionally I would see a person talking on a Bluetooth or a cell phone, but as I watched walk by I could tell that they were nice people because I knew them and I wasn’t attached to any type electronic device. I didn’t realize it, but my natural self was connecting with my neighbor. Now, I will sit down to relax on the same front porch and see no one. Garage doors closed, curtains closed, windows closed. Every person in my neighbor hood became a secluded hermit. Every now and then I would see someone running or exercising, but they would block everything out by listening to music. That’s when I noticed that this is a reoccurring issue in this country.

Sometimes, I go out somewhere with some friends or with my parents. I see another group that has gone from talking about the world issues to looking at their phones on Facebook or Twitter or some other social network telling the world that they are out with some friends. We have lost our natural ways of becoming a friend. We don’t have that close bond like there used to be. We have been so caught up in having that material item that we have lost our power to spiritually bond.

Our generation has become shy and introverted due to the increased use electronics. We may lose our natural connection with each other. It may not happen soon, but it could happen if we continue on the road that we have been on. I know it may be tough but if we could take some time out our day to completely turn off all the electronics and maybe meet our neighbors we could save the future of our natural selves.