Transcendentalism and pollusion | Teen Ink

Transcendentalism and pollusion

By Christie Dima BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
Christie Dima BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

The earth, the only known planet to inhabit living beings. Throughout its lifetime, the earth has given so much. From the water we drink to the air that we breath. But as man grows in knowledge, he learns more about how to take advantage of it. To use earth's gifts as weapons on itself. No one seems to understand that, if the earth dies, we all die along with it.

It all started with one lazy soul who couldn't walk a few extra steps to a trashcan. Is it laziness? Carelessness? Why must we destroy the only planet that can keep us living? We may not see the damage right in front of our faces, but we always need a little help looking at the bigger picture throughout time. The earth is slowly dying because of our laziness and careless actions towards our own home. We seem to take more care of our houses than the actual home those houses, the earth.

Day after day, we attack the very ground we live on by littering, wasting water, killing the oceans with our own wastes, etc. There are few, on the other hand, who treat the world as their own child. Some take care, some hurt. I believe that being a saver is one of the hardest groups to conform to. Why? Others say because it's hard, and that there's too much work for one simple human being to save the giant world.
There are so many people who try to make a difference to, dare I say it, "restore faith in humanity". I believe that, that specific term is a bit overused, but relevant to this topic. Certain organizations take the time to pick up trash and litter from the rural beach sides to the urban city side walks. These people have seen the bigger picture most of us are struggling or just too stubborn to see.

We are so blind and careless to see the plastic bags, bottles, and cans all round. About 80% of the trash we throw away aren't biodegradable. (biodegradable: able to be decomposed by bacteria or other living organisms). Most of our trash is actually RECYCLABLE! We can reuse these items such as plastic water bottles, aluminium cans, and paper based packaging to make new products!
So why is it hard to be kinder to the earth? Recycling bins are all around us, trashcans too. Certain people set these bins up for us to make a difference, but why do I still see all sorts of trash all around?

One year for the summer, I visited my uncle up in Buffalo, NY. While I was there, I noticed that they had a box filled with empty soda cans. Curiously, I asked about it. My aunt told me that a machine pays her 50 cents a can. I didn't believe it, so she took me to the place where they recycled the cans. That had to have been the smartest idea ever! Yet, I found it a little sad. Did it really get that level? That the government/the organizations had to reward the people for doing the right thing? Well yes, I believe that it's genius! But, do we really need to be rewarded to recycle and save the earth? We humans need an incentive to recycle? Quite pathetic if you think about it. What if those machines were never invented to pay the people for their cans? Would they still recycle? Who knows. Why couldn't the only incentive was to save the earth and not 50 cents?