Reaction to "The Homecoming" | Teen Ink

Reaction to "The Homecoming"

By Noelle_666 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Noelle_666 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

"Live like you are dying."

In the November 2013 issue of Teen Ink, Matraca Lawrence wrote a touching sad story in her article “The Homecoming.”

I think it’s sad that a 13-year-old girl has to go without her dad for seven months. The fact that she questioned whether or not he remembers her is heart breaking. I myself can’t relate to the absent of my dad due to military duty, but I know someone who can. My 2nd cousin who is only two years old dealt with his dad being gone. His dad had to leave for a month to go help at a boot camp. At first my cousin probably didn’t understand why his dad wasn’t there every night. As days went by he started calling for his daddy. Hearing his cries just broke my heart because I knew his dad still was going to be gone for a couple more weeks. I feel bad for all the kids that have to go through the pain of having a missing parent, but they should be proud that their parent(s) are doing a good duty to the nation.

Matraca's hard times related to my own family's life and I just related to it instantly.