Victoria's Secret? She Doesn't Think You're Good Enough | Teen Ink

Victoria's Secret? She Doesn't Think You're Good Enough

By cocomo BRONZE, Tarzana, California
cocomo BRONZE, Tarzana, California

Be yourself, because you're probably better than the people you're trying to be.

Dearest Victoria's Secret,

Your company makes me sad. I can't hate you, because I feel sorry for you. I've never watched one of your fashion shows. I've never looked up pictures of your models to obsess over their "perfect" bodies. I don't follow you on social media, I don't tweet about you, and to me, your company doesn't even exist. But today, I found out that even though I don't care about your company, I'm still incredibly disappointed in what you stand for.

Let's start from the beginning.

Today, I stupidly made the choice to walk into your store. I needed some new bras, and I figured since you were having a sale, I would check and see if you had anything cute.

Boy, was I disgusted.

I have relatively small boobs as far as Victoria's Secret is concerned. I also don't want big boobs, because I don't care. This is not me defending myself, or trying to overcompensate or sound cool; I LITERALLY DO NOT GIVE A SINGLE F*** about the size of my boobs. I am a 15 year old girl, but shockingly, I have things on my mind other than wearing low cut shirts and trying to get guys.

Anyway, I was looking around the store, and the first 5 bras I see for my size include "extreme push up" "medium push up" "underwire push up" so on and so forth. As I continued to look around the store, I found that there was nothing in my size that was not push-up (either that or they were super skimpy and had like 1/2 a piece of lace on them.) A sweet employee walked up to me and asked me if I "needed help." No, I do not need help, but I do have a problem that you alone cannot fix.

Victoria's Secret seems to think that because I don't have a 32C chest, I need to wear a push up bra. Because my boobs aren't huge, I can't possibly wear a comfortable bra without padding. I understand that part of their brand is about giving girls the chest they've always "wanted," or trying to make them feel like they can "look" however they want... but for me, it did the exact opposite. It made me feel kind of crappy.

I'm pretty confident and self assured. I'm not insecure, and I don't have body image issues. I am who I am, and I've learned to be comfortable with that. But to walk in to a store and essentially be told that because you don't have big boobs, you need to do everything possible to enhance them... it's just wrong. I understand that they're trying to help girls. I understand that they want everyone to have whatever size chest they want or look however they want... but it's RUDE.

It's blatantly rude to make girls feel like the size of their chest is inadequate. The store is essentially telling girls that they MUST look a certain way, and that they must do everything in their power (and spend a hell of a lot of money) to achieve that. It's wrong, and it's degrading, and as women (I'm not a feminist) I'm surprised that we feed into this marketing garbage.

I LOOK HOW I LOOK. I'M PROUD OF IT. And I don't need some brand telling me that I need to look differently.

And after looking up the VS Fashion show (I kept seeing tweets about it earlier this month) I found that they pick the most gorgeous, perfect girls in the world and parade them around in lingerie to "show" their new lines.

YEAH F'ING RIGHT.

They want to make you feel like garbage. They want to show you that unless you have perfect boobs and look like a model, you AREN'T good enough.

Of course, the underlying message is that VS can make you look perfect, which isn't true. Their bras don't look comfortable at all.

I was incredibly saddened today. It was very frustrating to me to see that girls cannot be comfortable in their own skin, and that we need enhancements to make ourselves look "better."

I am who I am. I look the way I look. I wouldn't change for the world- and you shouldn't either.

Don't let some stupid store tell you that you need to look differently.

YOU are unique. YOU are special. And you deserve to feel good about yourself.

So today, I guess I found out the secret.

Victoria's Secret? She doesn't think you're good enough.

But I do.