The Lady or the Tiger? | Teen Ink

The Lady or the Tiger?

By floridagirl SILVER, Summerfield, Florida
floridagirl SILVER, Summerfield, Florida

"Make sure your worst enemy doesn't live between your own two ears" -Laird Hamilton

“…she hated the woman that blushed and trembled behind that silent door.” Hate, a word used much too often and a feeling much too strong. Hate causes wars and cold blooded murders, leaving total chaos or satisfaction depending on which side of the unruly bargain you received. This is why I believe that the “semi-barbaric princess” signaled her one true love to open the door in which concealed his death sentence, mauled by tiger.

No matter how much I would like to believe that people would sacrifice their own happiness if it was beneficial to the one in which they loved, that only exists in childish fantasies that strive to mask the ways of the world for the children’s sake. However, as we age, we realize that in the real world, greed and selfishness reign high above love. If the princess truly did love the man, it is logical to think that the pain of losing him to God would be much less painful than losing him to another woman, one in which she hated. If she had told her “lover” the truth about the fates hidden behind the “silent” doors, then she would have to live with the pain of not only witnessing his wedding to the beautiful woman, but endure the pain of him and her flaunting around right before her eyes. Every step that they would take would tear at her heartstrings.

In my opinion, this story is the epitome of “If I can’t have you, no one can.”