GoPro | Teen Ink

GoPro

By 4Nico BRONZE, Miami, Florida
4Nico BRONZE, Miami, Florida

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

The GoPro camera today is recognized as the most versatile camera ever. The GoPro camera is a high-definition camera, often used in extreme sports because it is light weighted, sturdy, and compatible to warble mounts. The GoPro is the most quintessential of compatible cameras to extreme activities. The company that manufactures and distributes this camera is privately owned by Woodman Labs of San Mateo California.

The GoPro company was formed by Nick Woodman. He though of the GoPro after a surfing trip to Australia in which he wanted to capture scintillating images but was unable to because the amateur photographs could not get close enough, or obtain quality equipment at a low cost. Nick Woodman initially raised money to start his company by selling bead and shell belts out of his car for under $20 dollars each. A low income activity was the key to the break through to the idea of having warble mounts.

The first GoPro was sold in 2004. The GoPro has been modernizing and perfecting it self since since its release. There has been 8 different GoPro models, the GoPro HERO 35mm All-Season Sports Camera, Digital HERO 3, Digital HERO 5, HD HERO 960, HD HERO, HD HERO2, HERO3, and the HERO3+. The GoPro since its first release, has been perfecting its resolution, sound, versatility, and its angle degrees outreach. The latest GoPro, the GoPro HERO3+, was released in October, 2013. This new version is available in 2 versions, the Black Edition and the Silver Edition. This latest version compared to the precedent one has a new water proof skeleton which is smaller and lighter. Also the battery has a 30% longer runtime. This new edition has lurid image quality with an improved low light performance, image sharpness, and audio performance which rejects the wind sound.

The GoPro company currently sponsors many professional athletes in extreme sports such as skiing, mountain biking, ski diving, etc. Today the GoPro is the world’s best-selling and most versatile camera. People are able to capture immersive and engaging footage of themselves during their favorite activities. The GoPro has expanded to the film industry in the stunt double field. GoPro acquired CineForm, which “makes HD and 3D film editing faster and more convenient without sacrificing image quality”, this system was used in the movie “Slumdog Millionaire”. Shortly after this acquisition the GoPro 3D HERO3 system was made. The GoPro has even expanded there age group and users. The GoPro is now used by kids, teenagers, and adults who are amateurs that want to capture their esoteric activities. The GoPro being able to adapte to multiple task and multiple mounts it is categorized as being the most versatile camera ever.