The Tenth Circle | Teen Ink

The Tenth Circle

March 9, 2014
By Anonymous

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
Published March 17, 2006


Written by Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle is about a suspenseful mysterious rape case. Trixie Stone a fourteen year old, popular beautiful freshman whom seems to be living perfect teenage days, life changes in a blink of an eye. Daniel Stone’s,Trixie’s father, life revolves around Trixie, although Daniel has a career in comic strip drawing Trixie is his number one priority. Everything seems to be going perfectly fine until the night of the rape.

Trixie is lost in love for the first time with her boyfriend Jason Underhill. After several break-up’s Trixie decides to get back at Jason at her best friends party, but she ruins her life that night. Trixie accuses Jason of violently raping her. Because Trixie is the light of Daniel’s world, Daniel quickly reacts to this and immediately wants to kill Jason for hurting his baby. After undergoing various medical exams they come to the conclusion that Trixie was raped under the influence of drugs. Surprisingly, Zephyr, Trixie’s best friend, slipped some drug in Trixie’s drink which neither Trixie nor Jason knew of. Jason was charged as if he were an adult, and he lost all his scholarships. One day as Trixie’s mother Laura Stone was driving home she encountered Jason on a bridge, extremely drunk. Laura still furious of what he had done to Trixie, pushed Jason over the bridge which killed him.

I would extremely consider everyone reads this book! It is a mysterious, suspenseful, interesting novel. Not only does Picoult keep the reader guessing throughout the book whether Trixie was really raped or not, she adds a secret quote. “Nothing is easier than self-deceit, for what each man wishes that he also believes to be true."