Hunting Isn't Harming | Teen Ink

Hunting Isn't Harming

March 17, 2014
By Savannah457 PLATINUM, Hood River, Oregon
Savannah457 PLATINUM, Hood River, Oregon
25 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A great day to walk off the earth" ~ myself


Imagine… a world where hunting was a crime, where nobody under any circumstance was allowed to hunt and kill any animal. What do you think the world would be like today?... Some people would say it’s better than killing the animals, and for those of you who hunt, you defend yourselves and disagree. Do you even know why you disagree?... Have you sat down and really thought about why hunting is allowed, even with all the people against it?... I have, and I can give you scientific and personal reasons of why it is allowed in society, and high in my family. Hunting isn’t harming based on scientific facts, and common sense, im here to tell you why.

Members of PETA and other animal welfare places say that killing animals is wrong. Obviously they haven’t sat down and thought it through. They fight everyday to stop hunting, the sport of killing animals for your food. They don’t know the pluses of this however, when
animals today eat vegetation, and the things mother nature provides for them, there is plenty for them to survive. When you have a world where hunting is illegal and reproduction is a constant you have an overpopulation issue. When you have to many animals, there is too little food for all the animals, they would die from starvation, and sickness. This is the first problem with animal welfare activists.

I have personal reasons of why my family are avid hunters. A lot of my family members are Native American, we hunt for our own food. My cousin Jacob is really quick to embrace his Native American blood, he goes hunting every year. As he told me, even if you don’t eat meat, you’re eating their food. Also the people who fight everyday and wonder how it’s so “EASY” to kill an innocent animal, obviously they don’t know the true meaning of hunting. You don’t just go out and kill, you spend days tracking your kill and getting back to your roots. Many people don;t think about where their food comes from, but those who hunt see it, and feel it, and its beyond any other feeling.

Slaughter houses, a place with death and no compassion. I’m not saying these people are terrible people, but the animals they kill daily to them is nothing but a slab of meat. These animals are placed in a kill box with no of escape, no way to try and live. They are trapped and killed. Then they cut and wrap them, then ship them to stores all over the world where you buy your meat. When you hunt these animals, you get not only to track and know where your kill came from, but you give them a chance to survive. They don’t go down that easy, they make you work for it. Hunting gives animals a more honorable way to die, rather than starvation and sickness. A more honorable way dating back to the Native Americans.
Earth is only one place, it may be big but it does have a limit just like anything else. Just like if you have a home and 3 people live there. If you add one more to that family, they have to look into moving. We only have one Earth, moving isn’t really an option. There has to be something to stabilize the situation. Most people don’t understand why we don’t stop killing bears, mountain lions, etc. the hunter. If we did this the animals would die off to quickly and go extinct. There is a fine balance in life with everything you come into contact with. You have to be careful.
I’m not saying you have to go out and hunt. That is your choice, but before you fight something make sure you know the results of both scenarios. The life balance is something that has to be closely monitored. One wrong decision could unbalance life, and create much bigger problems. I would rather keep life balanced and know there is plenty of food, meat and vegetation alike. Not just for the animals but for humans as well. So before you tell me i'm bad, and wrong for killing my dinner, check your facts and know what it does to help you.


The author's comments:
I wrote this for a speech in my animal science class. It is MY opinion please do not be offended, or mad. I don't care if you don't eat meat, or kill animals. But don't call me bad for doing it, and don't fight with me over it. It is a way of life.