Legalizing Prostitution | Teen Ink

Legalizing Prostitution

May 29, 2015
By PuggaSenpai BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
PuggaSenpai BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When most people hear the word prostitution, the first thought that comes up are nasty, disease ridden, money hungry girls. But rarely do people think of the poor, the kidnapped teens, or the single mothers. People take one look at these women and assume all they need is drug money, never do they assume they're earning money to feed their children. Yes, some girls do it for the rush and for drugs, but many don't choose the life they live. Many are forced, kidnapped, raped, and so traumatized they have no other choice than to give themselves up. That's why keeping prostitution illegal is putting more obstacles in the way of the needy and keeping innocent victims in danger.


In the United States there are more than 1.2 million homeless/runaway teens, and 125,000 - 200,000 of those teens will turn themselves over to prostitution. The street is no place for clueless teenagers, rapists, traffickers, murderers, and all sorts of nasty people roam the street at night. A life consisting of street prostitution is a life of HIV, rape, incarceration and even murder. In 49 states, these clueless girls have no safe place to go to earn money, because Nevada is the only state that has legalized brothels. Not only do brothels give people a safe environment to sell sex, but they are also a very good source of tax revenue. For example, Lance Gilman the owner of Mustang Ranch was a huge contributor to the construction of Tesla’s Gigafactory. Mustang ranch has also helped open parks, streets, stores, and malls.


Mustang Ranch is the most notorious brothel in all of Nevada, but there are 23 other legal brothels. Now, these aren’t just places where random girls come in to sleep with whoever. Brothels take their role very seriously and have their own way of keeping things safe and organized. Before you can start working, you must be the age of 18 or older, and you must be tested for any sexually transmitted diseases.  If a girl is tested positive for any disease, they are not allowed to work until they are cured. If they test positive for HIV, they’re denied and any previous working license is terminated. After testing you are required to register with the police, because street prostitution is still illegal and will be charged as a misdemeanor. So obviously brothels don’t joke around, they do everything they can to ensure the safety of their workers and their customers. But things don't just stop there, all workers are required to have monthly doctor visits and must enforce the use of condoms on any customers. Now, prostitutes aren’t only sexually safe at brothels, they are also physically safe too. There is always security in the building and if any of the girls fear the customer they have full right to decline their request. The brothel house also doubles as a home for the women, so if they have no other place to go they can stay there. So whether they’re in it for the money or in it for the rush, they will always be safe and protected.


Obviously there are some very serious reasons why prostitution is wrong. Yes, women should be able to have the choice what they do with their lives,but it’s still a very dangerous lifestyle. Living everyday not knowing if you will get pregnant, sick, or abused is terrifying and no one should have to go through that. Prostitution is technically someone getting payed to be raped, and no one should have to sell themselves to someone. Especially just to be someone's toy, and as it’s known, some people break their toys. prostitutes have a 45% higher chance of getting murdered than the average person, and going home with random men in the middle of the night is scary as it is. There is also a great possibility that that the child prostitution rates will rise. Every year, nearly 400 kids are trafficked in Nevada alone, and if prostitution would be legalized it would encourage it even more. Pimps would be out of their jobs and would be in need of a new money source. In this case they would have to kick things up a notch just to keep their power.


So why does prostitution remain illegal? People should be able to do whatever they want with their lives. If these statements bother you, than don’t get involved, and if this sort of life intrigues you then by all means go out and do it. But with prostitution legalized, no one will have to be forced into doing anything, and no one will deserved to be judged for what they do. No one really knows what some people have to go through to survive and it isn't anyones business.  If you really sit down and think about it, many laws are made and most all of them are broken. So why make this a bigger deal than it really is? Prostitution will happen whether it's legal or illegal, but if it’s legalized it will atleast be safer. This doesn't mean pimps can just walk the streets but that sex can be sold safely and legally. So if the other 49 states can just legalize the use of brothels than alot of problems will be resolved. Less rape, less disease, less abuse, and a lot more money towards the community.