Behind the Counter | Teen Ink

Behind the Counter

By Mallory Risko GOLD, Ocala, Florida
Mallory Risko GOLD, Ocala, Florida

Every day, we place our trust, into the unknown. Weather we realize it or not. Each day something bad may or may not happen, but we assume that nothing will. However, what if other people began to get involved in our well being?

Around 5pm this evening, I began to feel a familiar rumble in my stomach. I knew it all to well. I was hungry! Unfortunately, there was nothing remotely edible to eat in the house. So, I hopped into the car and went to Taco Bell. While waiting for my food, I glanced behind the counter, and much to my dismay saw scraps of food spread on the floor. That's not even the worst part. I also happened to see Taco Bell's, assembly of a burrito. One employee would fill the burrito, and then slide it down to the next person to roll. Mind you that this burrito is being slid over a bare counter. Then after the burrito reached the end of the line it was placed in its wrapping.This may seem like an ordinary act to somebody who does not have an eye for detail, but I my self do in fact notice these things.

In my opinion this is absolutely appalling.I can't believe that people actually pay money for fast food, that is prepared in an unhealthy manner. Not to mention the environment is not ideal either. One would have to think that if the floor was dirty, the counter wasn't much better.

I would like to say I understand that the employees are in a rush to prepare the food, and therefore that gives them a pass, but it doesn't. Then again as a consumer, we do not have to purchase food from fast food restaurants. However, in today's society people do not have the time to sit down for a family dinner, and therefore turn to other options.

Employees, maybe you could put that broom to work like your mother taught you. All I'm saying is that my health should not be a product of your get it done as fast as humanly possible mentality.

Would you like fries with that? :D

I hope that you as the reader, will learn from this article that not everything is what it seems, and sometimes we need to take a step back and open our eyes.