Don’t Blame MySpace | Teen Ink

Don’t Blame MySpace MAG

MySpace. I’m sure you’ve heard of it. It’s a “social networking” site founded by Tom Anderson - a “place for friends.”

Using MySpace is an individual’s choice; no one has to make a MySpace page. You choose your friends, you control whom you want to talk to, and you are never forced to disclose personal information. There are privacy controls, and you can set these so only friends can view your profile.

MySpace is completely safe if used correctly. If predators find you, it’s basically your fault; you displayed enough personal information for them to find you. If parents want to make MySpace safer, they should ensure their kids aren’t posting personal information. No one should post or give out their address, what school they go to, or their phone number.

MySpace itself is not bad - the people who abuse it are.

Strawberry123 BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming
oops, this is supposed to be a reply to mikeydean.

Strawberry123 BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming
thats ture and all, but once again, its your choice. i have had a myspace for almost 3 years and ive never had a problem with spam or computer viruses. if you dont like it, thats fine, other people do. but keep the comment nicer :)

emolover95 GOLD, Park City, Utah

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

I agree and i disagree. When you're kid is on MySpace you can't just watch them like a hawk and make sure they don't do anything bad. Yes MySpace can be safe and it can be dangerous. Key word can. It isn't your fault if you're abducted. Some people are smart enough if they want to to hack into people's profiles. Well written and good job but i am half and half.

william224 said...
I do so happen to agree with mikeydean..lol! I have been on myspace for 2 years and have always had to delete my account at some point because of myspace bugs. Privacy settings are not what they used to be, people

mikeydean01 said...
LOL, whatever! try getting on there sometime and POOF!..people are getting passed your account settings! PLUS they are always recommending people i do not know or don,t wanna know, it is THY worst place for spam and computer viruses, maybe you will notice that sooner or later!

maisee08 said...
well, this is so true. there's a good side and a bad side about myspace. but it's what these people choose to do.

CHANCE =) said...
This is completly true!! Myspace should not be blamed for ANYTHING.

I_AM_WATSON said...
ROCK ON!

Myspace is a TOOL

use it right- its fun

abuse/misuse it- someone gets hurt

lalala said...
i think you are absolutely right. it is safe unless people choose to make it unsafe.

ROCK ON!

Myspace is a TOOL

use it right- its fun

abuse/misuse it- someone gets hurt

bam!!!!!!!!! said...
i think this is totaly true i get on there for fun and friends

this is so true but people also have a choice to put info in there

I have been waiting for somebody to say this for a long time! Bravo!

Of course anything online can be bad if you misuse it but otherwise it is great fun!