Save the Arts | Teen Ink

Save the Arts MAG

By Anonymous

      Music died here last spring, or rather, it was killed by members of the school board who ignored the importance of music and drama as part of the high-school curriculum.

The board decided that teaching students how to take a standardized test is more important than a curriculum in which students can explore their interests in the arts as well as academics. Because the school system is running out of funding, it needs to make sure that students pass the mastery test or even more money will be lost. If students fail the state standardized test, it is not the fault of drama and music classes - they are failing because the “academic” classes are not adequate.

It is painful to think of how many students will be discouraged from singing, acting, and playing instruments because school programs are no longer offered. Many families cannot afford private music lessons, and many potential musicians and thespians may not find their calling if they are not exposed to it in school. The fact that the school board thinks the arts are not worth the investment will certainly make some students believe the arts are not worth their time or support and the cycle will continue.

Teaching for a test does not shape students into complete, well-rounded people. It blocks the natural instinct to create and express feelings through art - there is more to life than the analytical thinking that math and English provide. What happens after a test? Sure, a student might graduate, but they will have limited knowledge - certainly not good preparation for the real world.