No Mercy for Immigrants | Teen Ink

No Mercy for Immigrants

The latest hot-button topic of the many we've seen so far in 2018 is the separation of more than 2,000 children from their parents at the U.S.-Mexican border. This is due to the 'zero tolerance' policy set in place by the Trump administration, which resulted in a crackdown of arrests of anyone who has crossed the border illegally. Not wanting to place children in federal prisons, they were ripped apart from their parents and placed in detention camps. This scandal has America raising torches to the president and has even hurt the hearts of members of his own party. Every new story of a separated family and the wrongful treatment of people in these facilities shatters my heart. In my opinion, the 'zero tolerance' policy is both inhumane and incompetent.

Children placed in detention centers are one: guilty of crossing the border illegally with their families and cannot be placed in federal prison; and two: have no relatives or possible guardians in the U.S. Many have no relation to anyone in the U.S. and the minors are not criminally charged, but the detention camps are jails without the term. There have been reports and photos of children being "detained in cages".(Cillizza,CNN politics). These children are already very much afraid- they fled their homes to escape crisis and to save their own lives. Though not formally a prison, they reside in an environment plagued with fear. They are alone, lacking maturity and nurturing from their parents, deprived of education, and in need of space to play and live. The officers who savagely tore the children apart from their parents knew no age restriction. According to an article on Bustle, an undocumented woman had her baby taken from her as she was breastfeeding! Officers then handcuffed her for resisting. (Millstein, Bustle). How can our country, our government, condone such cruelty? In adult detention facilities, the detrimental conditions are worse. As with the children, they are placed behind bars, only they lie in actual prisons and are designated criminals. There have been countless reports from women of sexual abuse and violence in addition to bearing the absence of their children. One of the most shocking revelations about the treatment of illegal immigrants in custody is alleged forced labor in an immigrant detention center. A CNN article states that a lawsuit has been filed against the company behind the Stewart Detention Center in Georgia for withholding necessities, including food. The company coerced the prisoners to work for measly wages and buy those items themselves. They have saved millions of dollars from not hiring workers and have supposedly violated human trafficking laws for paying them less than minimum wage. (Schoichet, CNN). These immigrants, who have not harmed anyone and are solely committed because they are illegal, must work for any morsel of food in a place where dreadful as it may be, should provide the bare necessities for survival. If I ever hear another person speak about how immigrants are 'stealing' our jobs, I will gladly show them the article proving that they performed forced labor because a company was too lazy and greedy to hire workers. The houses of horror detaining illegal immigrants and their children are enough to make one feel truly sick.

Thousands of people from Mexico and Central America seek asylum. Tensions in their countries include wars and violent attacks, gangs, incapable leaders, and the list goes on. Despite the tragedies facing them in their homelands, most are not granted asylum, providing the incentive to cross the border illegally. Families bring their children; their goal is to protect them from threats that could end their lives and provide a better future for them. On Sunday, the news played in the doctor's office waiting room and I watched intently as an interviewee spoke about how throwing them in detention centers is something they deserve. He said it was the parents' fault for dragging along their children and causing their detention. Many people think this way. They think that the fear of incarceration, even of their children, will stop immigrants from arriving in the U.S. illegally. It might slow the pace of it and stimulate intimidation for those intending to cross, but families will continue to cross the border as long as dangers remain on the other side. The conditions that induced them to come are in many ways worse than what the hostility they may face once they arrive here. Even when faced with imprisonment and deportation, they must try. They must try for the safety of their children. If there is any chance that their children can live better lives is a risk they have to take. Especially if they already have family in the U.S. that can care for their children. Trump can imprison families, deport them, or build a wall, but it won't stop these people from seeking safety if there is a slight possibility of them doing so. The Great Wall of China didn't stop invaders, and neither will a wall at the U.S.-Mexican border. Migrants will always find new ways to pass over the border without getting caught.

Recently this week, Trump issued an order ending the separation of families, at least for an extended period of time. Although, it is unclear where the families will be placed. However, the largest problem is that there is no plan whatsoever to unite the 2,000 children already disunited from their parents. In addition, if the number of people escaping to the U.S. continues to increase, the administration has talked about sending them in military bases. This is far from the proper place to keep children, although detention camps are no better. Just now, President Trump released a statement saying that all of the jailed illegal immigrants shall be sent back without a trial or court appearance. Even though I feel for those who are brave enough to leave their home and have tried to protect their families, what they have done is a crime. But like any crime, they have a right to appear in a court of law. What about the separated children? They cannot be deported until they reconvene with their parents. Where this disastrous mess of a situation will lead, who knows. As this keeps unraveling, I hope the administration regards the situation with both humanity and legality.