Teens Don't Belong in Adult Court Op-Ed | Teen Ink

Teens Don't Belong in Adult Court Op-Ed

December 6, 2018
By hanna268 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
hanna268 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the article “Teens don’t belong in adult court,” Levine and Gurwitz explain that “Young teens are more prone to impulsive behavior and poor decisions than older teens.” As a senior in high school, I can understand why teens should be given the same treatment as adults in court situations. Young teens can be immature and tend to make mistakes, yet are given the same consequences as a grown adult, I agree that this is “wrong.” I think evaluating a teenager's behavior over time and determining “whether he or she was rehabilitated or needs to remain incarcerated” is a very effective way to create a fair sentence.

Although I do agree with most of the points made in the article. However, lessening the sentence and consequences of crimes committed by teens may just influence their behavior since they know their actions won’t result in any major consequences or length of jail time like adults. If teens are given a lesser sentence, how much shorter will it be than an adult who committed the same crime? These are some things to think about before a law should be made to ensure justice in the court between teens and adults.