Is Solitary Confinement Humane? | Teen Ink

Is Solitary Confinement Humane?

By reuben-aristotle SILVER, Tirana, Other
reuben-aristotle SILVER, Tirana, Other

"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle

One hundred years after the first prison was built a new punishing method was used, solitary confinement. Over time this method has become more and more popular in the United States, but it has sparked debate about if it’s humane. Approximately 80,000 prisoners are held in solitary confinement. But why is it such a big topic, how does solitary confinement affect the mind?

To understand how solitary confinement affects the mind, we need to know what it is. Solitary confinement is a method used in prison where the prisoner is kept in their cell for 22-24 hours a day for a couple of days or even decades. The prisoner spends the day with almost no human contact at all, only going out to exercise 1 hour a day or go to the bathroom. Humans are very social and rely on communication for many things; that's why the brain is damaged from extreme isolation. Elena Blanco-Suarez, a neuroscientist and writer for PsychologyToday, says: “Of course, loneliness is also a natural feeling that everyone experiences at some point in their life. But a chronic state of social isolation is linked to depression, anxiety, and PTSD” .

To understand the effects on the brain from social isolation and sensory deprivement, an experiment was conducted; one that would probably not be legal in today’s world. In the 1960s the George Washington University conducted a four-day experiment. Before the test started the scientists would look at the psyche of the test subjects. Some of the participants would be put in a soundproof and lightproof cubicle specifically designed for the experiment. The participants could, however, request to end the experiment and be let out of the cubicle at any time. At specific times the scientists would check how they were doing psychologically. At the end of the experiment, the results before and after the experiments would be compared. The results of the short lasting and the long staying were compared. The ending result was negative for both types of participants. Many said that the test subjects didn’t have a clear line between reality and fiction; they also had problems with thinking and solving mental problems. The test subjects had mood swings and would usually feel worried, angry, and scared.

But in solitary confinement, it is just social isolation, not sensory deprivement which is more extreme when you add them together. To understand solitary confinement you have to know what the people who have experienced it think of it. Tom Silverstein is a convicted murderer of 3 people, a guard and other inmates. It is hard to have sympathy for him and it is logical to keep him away as he’s dangerous, but many people agree with him anyway. He has been in solitary confinement for 31 years, longer than anybody else. Silverstein believes that he is subjected to cruel punishments which nobody should have to endure. Others also think that it should be practised but only temporarily, used when looking for another method. However, there are many who disagree with him; for example, the Georgia Supreme court denied his appeal as they do not believe it breaks the 8th amendment outlawing cruel and unusual punishment.

Overall, the mental effects of solitary confinement are harmful. But are they too harmful or should solitary confinement be kept in practice? There is not a very clear answer as it is harmful to the felon but the felon has done very bad things to get in there. But what is clear is that it is very bad for the brain of the victim as they can get PTSD and depression from it.