A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Acceleration and Continuation of Climate Change and its Effect Before it Sends Planet Earth to an Inescapable Doom. | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Acceleration and Continuation of Climate Change and its Effect Before it Sends Planet Earth to an Inescapable Doom.

January 31, 2019
By Jleeto BRONZE, Spring, Texas
Jleeto BRONZE, Spring, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Acceleration and Continuation of Climate Change and its Effect Before it Sends Planet Earth to an Inescapable Doom.

Climate change is real, and its effects on the planet are horrifying. Temperatures are continuing to rise and as a result, hurricanes are intensifying, sea levels are rising (projected to rise another 1-4 feet within this century) and the Arctic is projected to become ice-free during the summer by mid-century. As a result of the intensifying hurricanes, the continuing rise in sea level and the projection of the arctic acquiring an uncharacteristically peculiar description of ‘ice-free’, animals and humans are being displaced. Their homes are being destroyed, and this will only persist. Experts predict that Southern Florida will be submerged seawater by the next century. This is a horrifying reality for some 5 million Americans who reside in the south of Florida, who live at elevations less than four feet of the high-tide line. What if it were your future family that had to give up their home and move inland as a direct result of global warming, a process by which humans can slow? Global warming is a serious issue that we need to address and make efforts to combat.

How can we combat global warming? It has appeared that efforts of informing the masses is simply ineffective - not enough change has occurred. My proposal to combat global warming, considering its severity upon the lives of humans in coastal communities (for the time being) and animals, is to respond with harsh consequences for those who commit actions that can harm the earth, such as: leaving lights on when not necessary, not using renewable energy and not driving fuel efficient cars. Those who commit these harmful actions should be punished accordingly, and that is, death.

How would this prove effective? Well, firstly, put the fear of death into someone, and they will typically abide by whatever guideline you set for them. Secondly, no one wants to lose their life, so death as a consequence for failing to respect the earth and the process of climate change will surely make one think twice about their actions. Thirdly, with death coming to all who cause harm to the earth, it will also benefit the slowing of the global warming process because it will prevent them from repeating their actions. Fourthly, with those who committed these harmful actions dead, they can’t have children who may have similar tendencies. Fifthly, with an alarming amount of deaths as a result of commiting harmful actions to the earth, those who produce the products by which people use and get killed for will cease to produce these products. Sixthly, with the smaller global population, the rising sea level would be less of a concern for housing would be available inland.

Is death a rather extreme consequence for committing harmful actions towards the earth? I argue that it isn’t. The health of our planet is far more important than any one person, and it is important that we take the necessary steps to preserve it.

Without immediate change, the earth is destined for an inescapable doom. Climate change is real, and the actions of humans severely affect the process. We need to recognize how impactful we are upon the process of climate change and make changes to slow the process in order to preserve the earth for those who will follow us.

Reflection

My ideas formed as a result of watching ‘An Inconvenient Truth” by Al Gore. Although he didn’t recommend death as a punishment for those who cause harm to the earth, he did showcase the effects of climate change today, and what could occur in the coming decades. This was quite impactful upon my perspective regarding global warming - I know understood the impact it has on people's lives today, and what impact it will have upon those following us. I modeled my essay after Johnathan Swift’s through referring to his ‘A Modest Proposal.’


The author's comments:

I am a sophomore who attends school in The Woodlands, Texas. My submission to Teenink is per the request of my English teacher, in that we were to select our favorite or best piece of literature and submit it accordingly. I selected my piece associated with climate change because I am passionate about the topic and feel that it's important to be talked about.

Obviously, the piece is a bit of a tease and by no means do I believe capital punishment is the solution to fixing any problem.