The truth about fleeing | Teen Ink

The truth about fleeing

February 6, 2019
By Anonymous

War, corrupt government, unnecessary violence all cause one thing, migration. Every migrant has a hard life, a different story, and a different journey. There .are migrants everywhere in the world, but one specific story is the Syrian refugees and Central American migration. Migrants are fleeing their home country because of unnecessary violence, they've seen loved ones die, and because of gangs or terrorist groups are terrorizing the people. And they all have something in common, they are all sacrificing everything to go to a safer place and better opportunities for them and their family.

 

To begin, gang violence and crime are reasons why people flee from their home countries. According to UNESCO USA. El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras they are all countries filled with gang violence and abuse. A school is a place where parents are supposed to live their children for them to learn and be safe. But in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras that's not possible. School in those countries are a very dangerous place to live your kids at. This is because of violent gangs, they target school and what they do is bully the students, steal the bit of money they have, threatening the students, and they create a climate of fear. Afterward, this cause, kids to stop attending class or they could also start behaving aggressively, and in some cases, they even join a gang.

 

Reported by Emerson Collective. “One in four Salvadorans and up to 70 percent of small businesses in the country suffer extortion at the hands of gangs. Gang members show up demanding a “collaboration” and threaten to kill those and their families who don’t pay. threats are seldom reported to police, a few of such crimes go investigated.” This is telling us that the Salvadoran people are being extorted or threaten to be killed, by gang members if they don't give them the money they want. Also about how justice isn't served to the people. This matters because we can see how corrupt the government is and how families are scared of what might happen to them and their families. To conclude, we can see the violence caused by gangs, and the fear of losing their loved ones.

 

“Thousands of Syrians get displaced within their country every day. They often decide to finally escape after seeing their neighborhoods attacked or family members killed.” This is showing us what provokes the Syrian people to flee their country, because of the pain and suffering the people are going through which never ends. This matters because people stereotype them and believe they are terrorist and that they are going to terrorize another country. But the truth is that they are scared of not waking up the next day because of the violence in their country. We can see that losing the ones we love or seeing others die causes a lot of fear.

 

We can see that migrants are not living their countries to cause violence, take jobs from others but because their countries can´t provide their necessary needs. They are fleeing because they want to provide their families with a better life without having to see violence every day, losing their loved ones, and having to be surrounded by violent people. But the Syrians and Central Americans are not the only ones going through this pain. If we don't do anything about this how many others will have to see their home being destroyed piece by piece.