Phony Driving | Teen Ink

Phony Driving

By btillman BRONZE, River Ridge, Louisiana
btillman BRONZE, River Ridge, Louisiana

Imagine driving down a street, and all of the sudden a car crash has occurred. Knowing that they were following all the rules of the road, they soon realize that the reason for the crash was that the other driver was using their phone. This is an issue that occurs frequently, and it leads to many deaths.  Using a phone without a hands-free function while driving should be illegal. Driving while having a phone in one’s hand puts other people in danger. Being on one’s phone creates a huge distraction to the driver. In opposition, many people say that driving while using a phone is not a safety hazard and they ignore the rules of the road. Driving while using a phone without a hands-free device should be illegal because it puts the people around them in danger and is a great distraction for the driver.

The use of a phone while driving is a great risk to the other people near them. The person driving is putting people like pedestrians and bikers in danger. Since they are distracted on their phone, the driver is not realizing that there could be people around. Many people that are riding their bike or walking in the street have to worry about their safety because of distracted drivers. Likewise, the health of the drivers around the distracted driver is in danger of being harmed. If someone was to hit a car because they were too focused on their phone, then the person being hit may be injured. The other people driving are at major risks of injury, that may affect their life for years, or even result in death.

The phone usage while driving creates a distraction for the driver. The driver probably does not realize that they are putting their own life at risk, so they do not think about the outcome of driving with their phone. Since driving can be dangerous already, being distracted is really putting the driver’s health at risk for injury. Likewise, they are not able to concentrate on the rules of the road, if they are looking at their phone. Since they are on their phone and if something were to be an emergency, then they would not adapt to the situation because they are not focused. Since they are not fully concentrating on the road, then they are putting themselves and everyone around them in danger. Therefore, the driver is putting their own life at risk for looking at their phone.

Even though many people are against driving with a cell phone, a few people believe that it is okay to do this. Many drivers believe that the use of a phone while driving is permissible because one can look at the road and one’s phone at the same time. They believe that this is not a distraction and that they are able to drive safely; some even say that they have never gotten into a crash. Even though this may be true for some people, it doesn’t mean that they will continue to be safe. One is way more likely to get in a crash while being distracted than a person fully focused on the road. It is even said that 424,000 are injured every year because of distracted drivers. Many people are against the fact that driving with a cellphone should be illegal, but it is proven that it is all around safer to drive without a phone.

Putting other people around them in danger and being distracted are two reasons why driving while using a cell phone without a hands-free function should be illegal. Pedestrians and other drivers are at risk when near a distracted driver. The driver puts himself or herself in jeopardy of being affected as well. The people who say that driving with a cell phone is no issue are going to realize that it is going to affect them one day. In conclusion, the next time you notice a distracted driver, share the effects that it could have on everyone so this worldwide issue could help to be resolved.

I wrote this essay to say that I am against driving while using a phone. I think that this is something that many people need to know about and I want to persuade people that they should not drive with a phone in their hand.