Voting: Responsibility, Privilege, Tradition | Teen Ink

Voting: Responsibility, Privilege, Tradition

By Jdunn012 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
Jdunn012 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

Voting is not a law or demand, but is a choice given to a legal American citizen when they turn 18. Having the ability to vote is not just the vote itself, but the step towards adulthood and maturing and is a responsibility that not everybody gets. But just because I get this vote, doesn’t mean I should vote just for the fun of it.

Voting is a responsibility. It is the responsibility of analyzing the candidates up for election and finding out which candidate has the most similar beliefs to me. To remember to go out on the day of election and not forget about the vote and the meaning it could have. 

Voting is a privilege. A privilege that not every person has in the United States. This privilege is what illegal immigrants or foreigners wish they could have that is part of being a true American.  Having that vote gives power not everybody gets so if you are not going to vote for yourself, then vote for the people that can’t but wish they could.

Voting is a tradition. A tradition that differs depending on the type of person. It could be a once a year thing, once every two years, or possibly once every four years. It does not matter what this tradition is but it’s the younger generations responsibility to continue this tradition and pass it on for our future kids, and do what the founding fathers would want and what this government was built on. 

Voting is more than just a card where we cast our vote. It is more than just a responsibility, privilege, or tradition. It’s a way to be heard by the people, a way of coming together as one nation. So before giving up on not going out and voting, think of not just these three  principles, but what does your vote mean to you?