Generation Z: Savior of the Republican Party | Teen Ink

Generation Z: Savior of the Republican Party

By cameronkehler BRONZE, Greenwood, Arkansas
cameronkehler BRONZE, Greenwood, Arkansas

Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue

In March of 2018, the people of the United States watched as Teens like Emma Gonzalez and David Hogg threatened that the 2018 election would see a HUGE turnout of his Generation, who would vote overwhelmingly for Democrats. The media exceedingly reported about the massive rally organized and attended by Generation Z, who would give the Democrats the blue wave they had been waiting for. In reality, less than 10% of those in attendance were under 18, and the average age for the crowd was 49, far from the age of the upcoming electorate. As for Hogg’s threats, youth turnout fell from 51% in 2016 to 31% in the Midterms, but those who did turnout were overwhelmingly already members of the party in opposition to the President, as is the norm for midterm elections. 

Adults will often comment on the tendencies of the youth of America to be snowflakes; incredibly liberal boys and girls who haven’t really gotten a grip on what life is like; however, this is not the case. As of 2019, the youngest Millennials are 23 years old (if we set the cut-off at 1996, which most Sociologists do), while the oldest millennials are 38. This means that the title of youth no longer applies to the Progressive Millennials, but to the entrepreneurial,  Post-Millennials.

It is a common finding that as young generations grow more Conservative as they age. Take for example the Baby Boomers. When the Boomers were young, they brought about an entire two decades of free love and hippy-attitudes, but that changed in the 1980s with Ronald Reagan. In 1976, only 21% of High School Seniors regarded themselves as Conservative, whereas now, 44% of Baby Boomers consider themselves Conservative, compared to 21% as Liberal.

This wisdom holding true, that spells good news for the Republican Party. Right now, even Millennials are more Conservative than Baby Boomers were at their age, but Generation Z is significantly more Conservative than Millennials. In every category polled (including Climate Change, Gay Marriage, and Especially Economics) by Pew Research, we see a rightward shift in those born after 1996.

The same goes for election statistics. 2016 was the first Presidential Election in which Generation Z Could vote, and they did. The Demographic of 18-29 swung 5 points for the Republican Candidate, while 30-44 became more Democratic, as the Millennials (who are also becoming more Conservative, but aren’t as Conservative as Gen-X) are now entering that age group.

That doesn’t even take into account how Generation Z formulates their opinions. They are more inclined to take political advice of Youtubers like PewDiePie, Steven Crowder, or Ben Shapiro, than they are from Late Night Talk show personalities like Jimmy Kimmel or celebrities like George Clooney. When you consider the reach that individuals like PewDiePie (who is arguably rather Conservative) have compared to even just cable news, and the influence of Meme Culture, which is also arguably rather Conservative, it spells certain doom for Democrats, much like the Millennials did to Republicans. 

It is far too early to write off the Republican Party in elections. While the nation is becoming more diverse, so is the GOP itself. The party is making unprecedented changes becoming more and more a party of Social Moderation, Civil Libertarianism, Diplomatic Neutrality, and of course Fiscal Conservatism, which is exactly what attracts Generation Z so much to this new Republican Party spearheaded by Politicians like Donald Trump, and youtube personalities like Ben Shapiro. It is this change that will save the GOP, at least for another few decades.

A young Conservative Arkansan. 

SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
GOP for the win!