The Morality of Animal Testing and Experimenting | Teen Ink

The Morality of Animal Testing and Experimenting

Imagine being kidnapped from your home and taken to a laboratory to have experiments done on you. This is what happens to millions of animals every single day for no apparent reason. These experiments almost always leave these poor animals with severe lifelong problems, and most times even lead them to die. 115 million animals have been used for these inhumane experiments, and more continue to be used day by day (Animal Testing). 

Animal testing or animal experimenting is the use of animals to test products, such as makeup or medication, to make sure that these products are safe to be consumed or used by humans. As mentioned in the opening paragraph, this form of experimentation is unethical and not moral at all. There are many brands in 2023 that continue to use these animals for their own needs and not think about how badly it may affect the animals, which is selfish. There are many other ways that have been invented that are more efficient in testing a product's toxicity. Furthermore, animal testing has also been proved unreliable. This method of testing has been proved to be misleading because animal skin cannot exactly mimic human skin, which can contribute to the harm of humans since they are using potentially harmful products. According to The Humane Society of the United States, many animals which are used for testing are not protected by the Animal Welfare Act, which is a law that makes sure animals such as dogs, cats, rabbits, and hamsters are taken care of properly physically and mentally. Animals that aren’t protected by this law are left to be used for experimentation and not be protected. 95% of animals used for experimentation are not protected by this law. Some examples of how the rest of these animals are experimented on is: Ferrets are infected with diseases and left unmedicated to see how humans may also react to the same disease. Monkeys are taken from their mothers to study how humans may react to stress and how it may affect them. Mice are force fed chemicals every day to see if they might cause cancer in humans. These are just a few examples out of thousands of different other ways other animals are tortured for human use. All of these methods are extremely painful for the animals which can be long lasting and have a major impact on those animals and their lives (Akhtar, Animal Testing and Experiments FAQ, Animal Welfare Act, Alternatives to Animal Testing | Cruelty Free International).

Some may argue that there is no other as effective alternative way of proving a product's ability as animal testing, but that is just wrong and easily argued against. There are many other more effective ways to test a product, which include the testing of cells and tissues, 3D tissues, computer models, human tissues (which are donated), and many other ways. According to Cruelty Free International, using these techniques to test will lead to a result 86% accurate, but animal testing is up to 60% accurate, which is a drastic change in numbers. Furthermore, other common arguments are that animals are fairly close to humans, so to find cures and be able to put out products that will be good for society, animal testing has to be done, no matter how immoral it is. This, like the other argument, is also wrong. Animals, though they have similarities, are nowhere like humans. Obviously, since we are different beings, humans will react much differently to the same amount of pain as humans. Some animals may be less sensitive, some may be more, so there is no way to prove if a reaction an animal has to a product will be the same reaction a human has to it, proving its inaccuracy and also debunking the argument. (Animal Testing | Pros and Cons | ProCon.org., Alternatives to Animal Testing | Cruelty Free International).  

This form of testing is not only used for medication and finding cures to diseases, but also for makeup and beauty products. Not only are these types of products sold, but they are also promoted and marketed on all types of social media platforms continuously. People, knowing the dangers of promoting and advertising harmful, non-vegan products, which are products that contain animal-derived materials in them, such as gelatin, cholesterin, and collagen, continue to do it (What Is the Difference Between Cruelty-Free and Vegan Cosmetics?). There’s acknowledgment of this problem, but not many solutions. Influencers will acknowledge that a certain brand is not cruelty-free but continue to buy from it and post about it if said brand makes decent products. 

As a conclusion, animal testing is not the only way, and it definitely can be stopped if enough people care to aid. Instead of promoting non-vegan products, we should promote the abolishing of them whilst also promoting vegan and cruelty-free products. This applies to all products, ranging from makeup, skincare, medication, cures, pesticides, and many more. Not only is experimentation on animals unnecessary and immoral, but it’s also unreliable and not effective.