X, The Rebranding of Twitter | Teen Ink

X, The Rebranding of Twitter

By JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other
JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other

"Our reality is narrow, confined, and fleeting. Whatever we think is important right now, in our mundane lives, will no longer be important against a grander sense of time and space..."

- Liu Cixin

X, the 24th letter in the alphabet, the letter that Elon Musk is most obsessed about, from his PayPal domain name X.com to SpaceX, to the Tesla Model X, to even his son’s name! Looking at the Twitter rebrand; it doesn’t seem much of a surprise and could even be described as potentially expected. However, this isn’t all sunshine and rainbows, and Musk claims; the name change brings profound implications too.

For example, I could confidently say that a large portion of the human population has heard of or used Twitter, and the actions of ‘Tweeting’ and ‘ReTweeting’ are iconic. Changing these actions to ‘X-ing’ or ‘ReX-ing’ doesn’t have that same twang and could also bring about severe problems with brand awareness.

The discontent can also be felt in the Twitter community; being a daily Twitter user myself, my feed is full of endless complaints and threats to de-activate. I would love to see the lively blue bird return to its rightful place, providing a platform for all to discuss and share opinions.

Maybe X will soon be one of the most recognized brands in the world, and the doubters will be proven wrong, though, as of now, it does seem to many as a mistake on Elon’s part. As Martin Grasser said: “The goal was to have a logo that was as memorable as Apple’s or Nike’s,” but a simple X just doesn’t seem to do that goal justice.

I've always used Twitter or X, on and off, but this change shocked me, after all, why fix something that isn't broken? In this article, I discuss the potential issues of Elon Musk's, fascinating rebrand.