On a peaceful World | Teen Ink

On a peaceful World

August 31, 2023
By darkbrandon SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
darkbrandon SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A peaceful world is where human dignity is respected, and human rights are upheld.  To uphold a harmonious world, climate justice needs to be advanced.  Climate justice calls for a society shaped by gender equality, economic empowerment, and equity.  A world where everyone is respected and empowered will be a peaceful world.  Without climate justice, society will be confronted with the devastating effects of climate change - a world with worsened economic inequalities, territorial conflicts, and political polarization, a less peaceful world.


Climate justice approaches climate change with an emphasis on fighting climate change and acknowledging the equal importance of existing structural inequalities.  Fighting climate through a systemic approach will ensure that injustice will diminish everywhere.  Climate justice aims to mitigate climate change and safeguard vulnerable communities from its impacts.  Through collaboration by young activists and socially responsible investors, climate justice can be meaningfully advanced, creating a more just and peaceful future.


Climate justice is advanced through the adoption of social media, making the youth incredibly passionate and engaged about climate change.  In one instance, the popular site Climemechange uses memes, a commentary on popular culture, to spread climate change awareness.  It is effective as every second spent consuming memes, a form of entertainment, describing the efficacy of solar power in Norway is a second being more conscious of climate change and its nuances.


At the same time, content creators like Maya Higa raise awareness by streaming her wildlife sanctuary, home to numerous animals affected by climate change, poaching, and illegal human activity.  By collaborating with sanctuaries, Maya Higa further amplifies the climate justice issue through the conservation lens.


The success of Maya Higa and Climemechange shows the demand for climate-focused content and the role of social media in amplifying the positive message.  At the same time., there are many smaller organizations on various platforms using infographics, videos, and documentaries to raise awareness of climate change.  Whether through the lens of class, economic development, conservation, or gender awareness, the internet's broad reach allows the multi-faceted advocacy of climate justice to work.


The dissemination of climate justice can not spread awareness but actively engage and generate new enthusiasm for activism.  Everyone can write climate-friendly posts on Twitter, participate in climate change discussions on Reddit, and share climate change infographics on Instagram.  Sharing this access to knowledge creates global solidarity, moments to see each other's lives, and the inequality with which climate change affects the disparity between high-income and low-middle-income countries means the public pushes for change and is successful from the ground up.  In this way, social media can be used by the youth to increase awareness and passion in the fight against climate change.

 

These voices are essential as socially responsible investing brings diverse social media perspectives, incorporating their viewpoints in developing and deploying technology.  Socially responsible investing is a philosophy of young investors emphasizing a company's societal and environmental impact and returns.  It is guided by the belief that companies are liable to their shareholders and, in a broader context, the consumers - us.  As such, companies that adhere to this philosophy also achieve the U.N.'s sustainable development goals in gender equality and climate action.


By representing the diverse opinions of its consumers, socially responsible investing can advance climate justice.  By emphasizing stakeholder engagement, socially responsible investing brings together activists, community leaders, innovators, and all those involved with climate change.  It acknowledges the importance of diversity of opinion and brings a panel of young leaders from different perspectives into power.  By considering the view of local communities, workers, miners, NGOs, companies, and activities, the deployment of solar energy, for instance, can be done ethically.  By emphasizing a harmonious relationship with technological development and distribution, a more equitable world can be achieved as we are fighting for the very future of society.


The battle for climate justice still needs to be completed.  Climate justice does not mean supporting the current system of injustice.  Awareness is raised through activism and socially responsible investing, and diverse voices are brought together, creating a more just, peaceful society.


The author's comments: