How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

Actually, most people do care. I think you just don't care enough to do your research.

I'm going to pretend none of the other comments were posted, because most of them were offensive. And now onto the topic of discussion. Your wonderful little article above. My first point: Something you said about Ecuador really was hurtful (to me at least). One, you spelled it wrong. Two, my school does a fundraiser for Ecuador to help education and other things there. I think you are sadly mistaken on what goes on over here... "Across the pond," as you may say. Kindly wait until you live in America to make assumptions and come to conclusions on what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong. Now, I know that we do some things wrong (i.e., letting George Bush Jr. become president), but that does not mean that everything we do is wrong. Oh, and one small thing: What you said was the cause of the war with Iran is not the cause. There were many reasons why we went to war with them. Many, many reasons, and you obviously do not know them (I do not know all of them either, but I know enough not to say I do/make up reasons). I am not going to comment on anything else in your article. I'm just going to say this. I would actually be more okay with this article if you lived in the good ole U.S. of A. But you don't, and you are insulting someone else's country. So kindly leave our perfectly fine country alone. If you have that much of a problem with it, then you can go to Barack Obama - or, since you hate America so much, just go ahead and drop a nuclear bomb on us and kill millions of people. Being mean to others isn't the answer. We should all work together to see what everyone is doing wrong, not just one country out of many.

EarthGirl BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”
“The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future."

I think that some of you need to get out of your little fantasy world where America is always right and amazing. Sure, we have a good Constitution; I'm not arguing with that. A lot of countries have it worse. But we are the variable in the equation that equals global warming.

A + cites + oil= pollution and global warming

A=America

And it wouldn't be as bad if people cared. But most of them don't, and if they do, a lot of them don't do anything. I'm not complaining about the government, I'm complaining about the pollution and oil use and NOT CARING.

I'm not just blaming America either. But America plays a large role in it. I don't care what country it is, if people don't care about what they're doing to the earth for their own selfish need, it's gonna tick me off. I do stuff to help the Earth, and it really bothers me when:

No. One. CARES.

Hmmmmmm said...
Honey, people do not DIE trying to get in to China or Russia. People have died trying to get into the U.S. That's because we are the first country to have our Constitution begin with "We The People of the United States." That means, the government does not rule us, they did not give us the rights, so they do not have the right to take those rights away from us unjustfully. Get the picture?

400king BRONZE said...
400king BRONZE, Hemet, California

a poem is never finished, just abandoned

thank you. glad this comment didnt get lost throughout time

earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

loveofgod- nothing personal, but the first documented democracies were in Ancient Greece. After that, the English Revolution set up a constitutional monarchy, wherein the people who had all the power were elected.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
i concur full heartedly my good man

our companies have grown, and by extent our richest 2 percent. and honestly i dont see how invading other countries would ever make people not want to kill us, is some country invaded us for say..letting our companies steal the natural resources of other countries there would be retaliation similar to the likes of al qaeda(which dont get me wrong, that organization disgusts me im just trying to prove a point). also, im sure many people cheer when we kill any middle eastern person, just notice the bumper slogan "kill em all", were not perfect

anton said...
 if you hate america so much, why do you post stuff on this site, which is american based?

leafy said...

which country emits a fourth of the world's greenhouse gasses but only uses up (about) 4.5% of the world's population? which country is number three in the most executions per year? which country has over 14 trillion dollars in national debt? you guessed it -- america.

although i will say, HELLO!?!! DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT AMERICA IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN IT!! COMPLAIN ABOUT ENGLAND AND HOW THEY (i bring this up from an earlier post) SPEND TONS OF MONEY ON A QUEEN THAT DOESN'T EVEN DO ANYTHING ANYMORE!!

ok, that it. i agree with some of your points, but you just don't write something like this if you're not american. 

wordsoflife SILVER, Starke, Florida

Truth is the absence of Lies. -me

Are you joking? Who goes to other countries to stop dictators from killing their own people? Who has the most charities in the world? Who is the first democracy? The United States of America! Shame on you. 

MiaMonster BRONZE, Los Alamos, New Mexico

"I often wonder if life is easier for other people, or they're just better at faking it." -Unknown

why do you even care? We're the melting pot of the world and one of the superpowers, of course we're gonna take up a lot of resources copared to little old england!

janej said...

The message that the USA emits 25% of the world's greenhouse gases is important and could probably have been explained a bit better, and without such prejudice, in this article. It's important, though, that the issue was raised in the first place.

It's true, also, that China emits simiar volumes to the USA. The difference is that there are over 1 billion Chinese and approx. 220 million US citizens. Sorry if figures not perfect. But you get the picture.

It boils down to the fact that citizens of the USA emit 4-5 times more gh gases per person than China. That's a lot and in the next 20 years the entire world will suffer if the US and China both don't start to reduce the volume of gases they emit. It won't be a surprise if the next generation of people born begin to dislike both nations greatly when the whole world is suffering. 

Gases know no borders. Irrgardless of the country that produces the gases, the impact is felt across the planet.

For what it's worth, the UK produces less than 5% of greenhouse gases. On a per person basis it's stil much much lower than other parts of the rich world and it's one of the lowest.

The other big difference between China and the US is that the US is developed. It's made it past the industrial stage. China is still on the way. Doesn't make it ok. But the point that the writer seems to be making, and that many seem to have missed, is that the US is extremely wasteful even though it has no good reason to need to waste so much anymore.

Does anyone ever consider how the rest of the world will react to the USA in the next 10, 20 or 30 years if they don't change? It won't be just someone from England. It will be any nation that suffers as a result of climate change.

Even if the rest of the world cuts their emissions in half, it won't help if the USA doesn't cut theirs by more since the rest emit so little in comparison that their cuts have less impact. The big changes have to come from the US. That will take more than guts and the will that exists now, and many of us wonder whether anyone really has the guts to take a stand about that.

Kascsak said...

ok, lets talk about this Brit.  If we are so bad and need to put more time and money into other energy sources and conservation attempts, then why doesnt the British, Uk's, gov't stop putting money into a fake Queen that has no power in the said gov't and put that money into conservation and energy sources??

I do agree with you that America should change, I own a hybrid and am looking into an electric car, but its not a countries bad efforts or a Countries terrible doings, it is the worlds.

lollypops GOLD said...
lollypops GOLD, Pilot, Virginia

Live

Yes America makes mistakes but many other coutries do too. We have only have one war between ourselves while other countries have had millions.  Yes the American dream is real and people achieve it here in America here you are free.  All countries are the same really they all want what best for their people.  The people that have the same feelings and go through the same things as people on the other side of the world

ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia

This article made very good points, and I agree that America as a nation is frequently romanticized so that we ignore the negative aspects of our country and contine to pat ourselves on the back for the ideals we originally adopted, but I think this article is a little harsh.

First of all, America is not at all the odd man out when it comes to contributing to Global Warming and over-consumption. That's the entire human race, not just America.

America has made mistakes. A LOT of mistakes. That is true. We've done unforgivable things. We are still doing unforgivable things. But we are not the worst thing that could happen to the world. We still hold onto the ideals that we originally adopted at our country's birth. We're still a democratic republic. We may not support civil rights as much as we should, but we're fighting for it. And I don't think it's fair that you're grouping the entire population of America into the same category. You don't think most of the people in America are bringing up the same issues you are? Of course we are!

Why do you hate America? Why would you hate anything at all? We may not be perfect, but who is?

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

To greaten our empire????? In case you haven't noticed, America hasn't grown in awhile. Oh, and watch the news once in awhile. Terrorism is a VERY REAL threat to America. There are a lot of people who want to kill us, so maybe a little fear is good, it keeps you on the lookout. I love America more than any other country.

PS Just to show you a difference between America and other countries: On 9/11, 3,000 Americans died. People in Iran and other countries went to the streets and CELEBRATED the death of 3,000 innocent people. When have Americans ever CELEBRATED, as in cheered for the fact that innocent people have died in another country????

about the wars america is currently involved in...america has killed waaaaaaay more people than 9/11 did trying to topple over 50 goverments since 1945, many for no reaon except to greaten our empire and i think terrorism has become a scapegoat word to make people keep fear, hate, and ignorance in their hearts..so for me personally i do hate america more than i love it

Katiebean SILVER, Fort Collins, Colorado
I understand that you have a right to free speech and all that, but can you seriously base the value of a country on its consumption?  You may have posted those numbers but what about comparing them to the amount of Americans and density in which we use these resources and compare them to other countries? I am not defending our use: we are spoiled. But really, look at other numbers and pieces of data.  Did you know that the U.S. has the highest ouput of engineers, (beating China and India), and that one of the biggest fields in engineering is environmental?? I am a student in environmental science and can tell you for a fact that the United States is leading the world in clean energy production technologies.  Sure, our country has problems but what country doesn't? At least we are trying to fix our energy dependency...

we created justin bieber...that vetos us from being the best country autamatically, sorry bout your nationalistic dreams but...i mean common JUSTIN BIEBER..