How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

DarkDragon said...
DarkDragon, Louisville, Nebraska
There was good and bad in this article, but how about the idea of using nuclear power to off balance are energy consumption. This is better than wind and solar because of it watts per acre. Would love to hear you thoughts on this.

mplo said...
While some of what you say rings true, aura_c101, there are, unfortunately, a good number of homeless people here in the United States living on the streets, under bridges and/or in cardboard boxes, as well as in these huge warehouse/shelters for homeless precisely because they have no home to go to, either due to severe poverty, or to mental illness and/or severe substance abuse problems. The de-institutionalization that occurred here in the United States during the 1960's is a partial cause for homelessness here in the United States. Due to the closings of many psychiatric hospitals here in the United States (Many of them had to be closed, due to being extremely archaic and brutal!), thousands of patients were turned out onto the streets with no follow-up care, or no place to go. Friends and relatives either refused to take them in, or they threw them out, due to not wanting them. The de-institutionalization, while there were good intentions behind it, backfired horrifically, due, at least in part, to not being well thought-out, and it exacerbated the problem of homeless in this country by a lot.

LittleRedDeliriousPrince SILVER, Parma Heights, Ohio
I chose to read this article looking for a good factual argument, and I was not disappointed. Of course, I have found reading to comments on this article to be amusing. While I will not say whether I agree with you or not, I will say that you are entitled to your opinion and that no one else, including myself, should try to push another belief on you. All in all, I found the article to be well-written. You're a good writer.

Sorry couldn't hear you over all the FREEDOM!!!!!!!!

SophieFloph PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

"Her stomach did a revengeful flop."

I saw this comment and I had to reply. I don't know where you're coming from and I appreciate you sharing your opinion, but Sandy Hook was a horrific, horrific shooting that was most certainly not a hoax. Children died in that shooting. Would they have died if it was a hoax?

Farhan Mohiuddin, Chicago, Illinois
Your article has some good points and some debatable points. What's wrong is wrong, but America is not the only one committing wrong. I further expand some of the things we as Americans can do to make ourselves better. Check out my article if you have time : TeenInk.com/opinion/current_events_politics/article/813863/Islam-and-Modern-Peace/

AvalonJane said...
AvalonJane, Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina

I believe one writes because one has to create a world in which one can live. I could not live in any of the worlds offered to me -- the world of my parents, the world of war, the world of politics. I had to create a world of my own, like a climate

I'm literally dying laughing over here you guys. Whatever idiot wrote this article obviously had some American boyfriend who broke her heart. I think everything about this article is hysterical. I'm loving the exaggeration of every little detail. And the added drama and tragedy. Fiction. of course, but amusing nonetheless.

Ibbitson2 said...
1.You accuse America of invading other nations who don't run their nation the way Americans like it. Sorry, sweetie, but that's not how it works. We fight for the freedom of the women who cannot go to school in Saudi Arabia and we fight for the gay couples whose heads have been chopped off by radicals in the Middle East. 2.Also, Equador did take loans from us, and "loans" mean "money you have to give back." That's not bullying. 4. The American middle class is one of the richest classes in the world. 5. So what if my dad wants to get a nice shave? He's supporting the manufactors. 5. Don't mistake cynicism for high-mindedness. 6. No one ever said America was the land of success, but it's the land of equal opportunity.

ABPippins SILVER, League City, Texas

To die may be an awfully big adventure, but to love is an even grander affair -myself

I agree with you saying the author seems misinformed. To the author: Instead of just including American usage of resources, other countries consumption should've been provided for comparison. The title really set me on edge and I think the phrasing could've been less accusatory towards us Americans. We as a nation can only elect our representatives for our government. after that, it's up to our Congressmen and Representatives to make the best decisions for us. We can lobby and petition, but the politicians don't always heed our say. Next time you want to write an article like this, please take into consideration our economy, government structure, and your tone.

s.mitchells BRONZE, San Jose, California
Ok America has made mistakes like any country, but do you even know what the American Dream is or how the government was originally intended to be like? The American Dream is to be successful and the government's purpose is to allow people the freedom to go after their dreams without interference from the government unless someone is causing another physical harm. You have not put your statistics into good use and you just seem racist against Americans who have all kinds of opinions on topics.

If you are trying a journalistic approach, you need to rethink your tactics because this article is entirely too hateful. I'm unimpressed by the data you provided on oil usage because you have no counter arguments. Majority of household appliances are manufactured and designed in China. No wonder they break. We know what we are buying and if you want to pick on American's as a whole, then consider the fact that not everyone is a mindless idiot. Your article is not only hateful to the population, but to the government. Yes, we have our downs, but take a step back. Look at the big picture before you go picking on something bigger than you, with such a narrow opinion.

jezrar said...
jezrar, Miramar, Florida

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"

Some citations would be appreciated

UncleSam said...
The measure of a country's greatness can be seen in the amount of people trying to get in compared to the amount of people trying to leave. I don't see many people leaving. I also don't see you writing in German little girl.

Richcoca PLATINUM, Canoga Park, California

Make as many as mistakes as you want, just don't make the same mistake.

Yassss. Down with this. America needs to stop being an avarice. Everyone, I hope you remember Sandy Hook. A hoax to deprive Americans of the Second Amendment.

UltimateZeldafan SILVER, Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania

"light is only a brighter dark, while dark is the only thing that will remain."- Jay Johnston
"Its not about the mask you wear to fit in, but about the face underneath"- Majora`s Mask 3DS
"Here`s for all who died, and to the next man to die to!"- N/A

you need some counter arguments to make it better  

laura_c101 said...
The United States is the richest country in the world and Americans have more opportunities than any citizens in any other countries in the world. Have any of you ever been out of the country? We are so lucky to live in this country and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to take a look around at the rest of the country. The poorest people in America own cars, cell phones, and televisions, while the poorest people in Africa live in cardboard boxes with dirt floors. I just wanted to put that out there. You article had nice sentence structure even though I did not favor the content.

MichaelZhang PLATINUM, Guildford, Other

The purpose of competition is to eliminate the competition.

Perhaps American Dream seems to be hard to last long because of the huge cost of energy and recourse. But USA won't be like ancient China or ancient Rome. Because America is still absorbing talented people from 7 billion people. Talented people is always the generator of a country's dream.

luckyowl1234 said...
This article states that america is a trigger happy collection of murderous power figures, which in fact is not true. America bombed Hiroshima not because we said "give me your money" but in order to insure the protection of not only America but numerous countries. Every nation has it contributions but also its faults. Lets not forget about Britain as an imperiaslt nation who killed many people in Africa, China, and India.  

MicahMorrison GOLD, Washington, DC, District Of Columbia

"It's not too late, it's never too late" -Three Days Grace

I am American, so I'm not a stranger to people "hating" America. But I am upset at some choices we have made. You tell me that we just bomb people for fun. America is one of the biggest inforcers in the United Nations, so we have to go in a take certian people out. But I do disagree with some things. Likr, dropping a bomb into a city full of civilians with 10 or 11 enemies? That isn't worth the loss of 100 other innocent people

1998clm BRONZE said...
1998clm BRONZE, Ottawa, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
You obviously have some very strong points; however, hating what is happening solves nothing. Unless you plan on paying us stupid, wasteful Americans a visit and live amoung us you can't possibly understand our culture. The glutony of modern society may stem from our country and there is little we can do to deny it. Compared to your country ours is young and reckless. The decadence of society is not something to be belittled. We aren't trying to ruin other countries and if they can't repay loans how is that any fault of ours? I would like to conclude with this important proverb: Let anyone amoung you who is blameless throw the first stone.