Self-esteem | Teen Ink

Self-esteem

July 10, 2009
By Anonymous

Like many teenage girls, I don’t exactly have ideal self-esteem. I’m a fairly normal girl, I think I have a right to say, when it comes to how I view myself. There are things I like when I look in the mirror, but my “flaws” far outweigh my good features. I have too many freckles, for example, and my hair doesn’t curl just the way I’d like it to. I do my best to hide my less fortunate features and accent my desirable ones; I buy different hair products, try “natural” solutions for skin problems-I’ve even dieted. But no matter what I do, it never seems to be enough to make me happy.

Why do I, and countless other girls, have this obsession? There are many reasons, but one of the most obvious is simple: we feel like we have to look a certain way. Whenever we turn on the TV, or even glance at a magazine, we see images of “ideal” bodies, faces, and hair. Celebrities, models, even homecoming queens—they all make us feel we’re not good enough.
One of my favorite quotes (from 13 going on 30) takes place when a thirteen-year-old girl is longing to look like the people in the magazines she reads. Her mom tells her, “Oh, honey, those aren’t people-those are models.” Remember that.

Now, I’m not against being beautiful, but it’s important to remember that we’re all human, and as such we are going to have differences. We all have strengths and weaknesses. To all those girls out there, remember that you don’t have to be just like everybody else-that would make the world unbelievably dull. Just be yourself. Watch and listen to things that make you feel good. Laugh. Don’t let your standards down to fit in. Never forget how much you are loved!
It’s not easy, and I probably am being something of a hypocrite, but maybe by writing this it will help me, and I hope it will help you. When you turn on 90210, or see a commercial with an unbelievably skinny, pretty model, just remember that they are not you, and you don’t have to be them. So go ahead, have your hair done for prom or have a spa night with the girls every once in a while. Just take it easy. There’s no harm in trying to look your best, but keep in mind that your best is not anyone else’s best, and that no one else will ever be you.