Fundamental or Political Islam | Teen Ink

Fundamental or Political Islam

May 23, 2010
By Katie7 BRONZE, Whitney, Texas
Katie7 BRONZE, Whitney, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is like a port-a-potty, you never know what you're going to find.
When life gives you lemons, put them in your sweet tea and thank god your a southern belle.


Fundamentalism refers to a belief in a strict adherence to a set of basic principles, sometimes as a reaction to perceived doctrinal compromises with modern social and political life (Wikipedia 1). The term fundamentalism was originally coined to describe a narrowly defined set of beliefs that developed into a movement within the Protestant community of the United States in the early part of the twentieth century, and that had its roots in the Fundamentalist-Modernist Controversy of that time (Wikipedia 1). Islamic Fundamentalist movements have varying degrees of support in North Africa, Pakistan, and Muslim South East Asia, but Islamic fundamentalism represents a minority viewpoint in the context of the Islamic world (Islamic Fundamentalism 1). Although an Islamic state may be set up in any part of the earth, Islam does not seek to restrict human rights or privileges to the geographical limits of its own state. Islam has laid down some universal fundamental rights for humanity as whole, which are to be observed and respected under all circumstances whether such a person is resident within the territory of the Islamic state or outside it whether he is at peace with the state or at war (M.Amir Ali, Ph. D. 1). The term “fundamentalist” is a borrowing from Christian groups that describe themselves that way; it’s not a Muslim term it often implies the strict adherents to Islam belief (Sam Husseini 1).

The term “fundamentalist” is also said to come from a series of pamphlets entitled The Fundamentals: A Testimony to the Truth published between 1910 and 1915 (Peter J. Haasl 1). The Islamic code of conduct is known as the Shari’ah. Its sources are the Qur’an and the Sunnah of the Prophet (Sayyid Abul A’la Mawdudi 1). They base themselves not only on the Qur’an, but also on the Traditions of the Prophet, and on the corpus of transmitted theological and legal learning (Wikipedia 2). There are six fundamentals that fundamentalists follow. You have to believe in a single, indivisible God, the Angels, the devine scriptures, the messengers of God, the day of Judgement, and the supremacy of God’s will (introduction to Islam 1). The chief characteristic of Islam is that it makes no distinction between the spiritual and the secular in life. Its aim is to shape both individual lives as well as society as a whole in ways that will ensure that the Kingdom of God may really be established on earth, and that peace, contentment and well being may fill the world. Islamic way of life is thus based on a unique concept of man’s place in this universe (Sayyid Abul A’la Mawdudi 1). In Islam, man’s entire individuals and social life is an exercise in developing and strengthening his relationship with God (Sayyid Abul A’la Mawdudi 1). Many do not look upon Islam as a new religion. They feel that it is in reality the faith taught by the ancient Prophets. Muhammad’s role as the last of the Prophets was to formalize and clarify the faith, and to purify it by removing ideas that had been added in error (Introduction to Islam 1).