Why Must We Stop Helping? | Teen Ink

Why Must We Stop Helping?

July 11, 2010
By hopelesssharpie BRONZE, Srghsfgjd, Virginia
hopelesssharpie BRONZE, Srghsfgjd, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction must make sense." -Mark Twain.
"I'm not crazy, my reality is simply different than yours."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than be loved for who I'm not."


We have all had that one song that makes us cry, sometimes because its sad, sometimes because it makes us think about what we've lost, what others have lost, how much more thankful we should be, sometimes we cry because it makes us happy, but it always makes us feel something, a meaning.

Today, I rediscovered a song that pulled at my heart the first time I heard and I am listening to it as I write. It is “Wavin' Flag”, by the Young Artist for Haiti. If you listen to their version I don't know how you won't cry. It is amazing the emotion of all these artists for people they don't even know, and you can see it on their faces, the hope, despair, sadness, and the belief that things will get better.

“How come when the media stops covering, and there’s a little help from the government, we forget about the people still struggling, and assume that its really all love again, nah. See we don’t have to wait for things to break apart, if you weren’t involved before it’s never too late to start.”

“You probably think that it’s too far to even have to care. Well take a look at where you live what if it happened there? You have to know the urge to make a change lies within and we can be the reason that they see their flag rise again.”

These words, I believe, are the strongest in the song, but a little hard to understand, probably because Drake is rapping them, but you can see the emotion on his face. Most people forget about helping out little by little as the coverage slows and the news moves on and no one really talks about it. Meanwhile people are suffering, dying, and losing family and friends, and yes, you might think that since it's happening somewhere that you can't SEE it, you don't HEAR the pleas and cry's for help, and you can't IMAGINE the hurt. But I know that when it all started, everyone was helping, as much as they could.

Why did it stop? Is it that society has taught us that if we can't see or understand it it must not exist? I am aware that people are helping but I bet nine out of ten of you haven't thought about it in weeks. I won't lie I don't think about it often. But I should, and so should you. Devastation, I hate to say it, is the time when we are the closest. And for that I thank it for that, and that alone.

So please, go listen to this song, and then. Answer me this:

Why must we stop?


The author's comments:
This was a piece I wrote very quickly, it's not my best. But I really don't care what anyone thinks of it, because for once in a while I put my heart and soul into what I was writing, and I almost cried writing it, and I listened to the song over and over and over again writing this. So please, answer me this.