The Mosque Insanity | Teen Ink

The Mosque Insanity

By peace.frog.271 BRONZE, Pinehurst, North Carolina
peace.frog.271 BRONZE, Pinehurst, North Carolina

"Let us remember as we chase our dreams into the stars that our first responsibility is to our Earth, to our children, to ourselves." -George W. Bush

This means to me that before we let ourselves fade, we must take care of ourselves and others.

I am very confused as to what the issue is exactly. It’s quite difficult to understand, especially when you turn on the news. One the one hand, you have MSNBC screaming about the 1st amendment, and you flip a few channels only to hear Bill O’Reilly fuming about radical terrorists and 9/11.

WHAT?!

Apparently, followers of Islam wish to build a mosque near ground zero as a way to help rebuild America’s relationship with Muslims.

Yeah. That’s not going to happen.

While well intentioned and extremely optimistic, what I do not think they realize is that America is not ready to move on. Ground Zero is a sad memory of an extremist ISLAMIC attack, and most American people are simply uncomfortable with how close the mosque is. Is it really that complicated?

Interestingly enough, it is. You have freedom of religion on one hand, and the horrors of 9/11 on the other. Is there no middle of the road? What I think should happen is moving the mosque a few blocks down the road from the proposed sight. NOW BEFORE YOU GET MAD…

Just think of what would happen if someone was paying their respects at Ground Zero and, in their emotional grief, happen to look over and see a mosque right near the memorial? Not to mention the retaliation that Islam is already getting for creating such a controversy. Wake up, Islam! In an effort to help the public view of your religion, NOT creating controversy is key!

Anyways, that’s just what I took from all of this. Oh, and I would really like to see Barack Obama keep his mouth shut on this whole thing. He probably should do something about his image as well, considering that’s about the only thing he cares about.

Although, it wouldn’t suck if he defended Christianity every now and again.

With such a heavily debated issue, I had to open my big mouth and say something about it.

rockyraccoon said...
on Jun. 26 2011 at 3:48 am
rockyraccoon, Fort Wayne, Indiana

today tommorow next month next year all look remarkably gray.

i heard that the mosque is quite a ways from ground zereo though youre right about everything else.

Saimne I greatly agree with you on many things :)

Curious, but I wonder if this Roger Ebert really understands the reason why America just can't build it. The community center, whether Mall or Mosque, is not something that should be "embedded in the ashes" I hope someday you realize this, though it may be too late.

Though I agree with you to some degree, again, prejudice is not the answer. It's depressing to think that you assume all mosques are for terrorists. Please get your facts straight, though I respect your opinion.

WickedPrincess, though I see your point, it is unhealthy to have such a prejudice against a religion as large and powerful as Islam. The "Mosque of Victory" was a name Republican protesters gave the mosque in an effort to convince the general public that is was a bad idea.

Get your facts straight.

KidB1963 BRONZE, Brockton, Massachusetts

"That old saying, how you always hurt the one you love, well, it works both ways."

"I wonder how many Americans realize the community center is not intended for Ground Zero. What will be constructed there includes a 55,000 square foot retail mall. This mall will be deep enough to connect with subway lines -- deep enough, that is, to theoretically be embedded in the ashes of some of the 9/11 victims." -Roger Ebert

Food for thought.

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I apologize for accusing you of bigotry; that was unfair of me. I don't suppose it will do much good for me to argue, seeing as you are firm with your opinion. You do bring up good points in this article, after all.

I still think you are unfair to Obama. But I will once again apologize for my accusation.

Oh and as for my jab at Obama? You can ignore it all you want, but it certainly won't go away.

Agreed with peace frog. I have a couple of islamic friends an they agr3e with this also. It was an islamic attack an this is sacred land so to speak. If your relatives die of say cancer, do you put a monument to cancer, practically praising it on top of the grave? No you do not so how is this any different?

I competely agree with our first ammendmant rights on freedom of religion. But here its different. If you have done farther research you will know that the Mosque is being funded by the taliban. It is also going to be called Mosque of Victory. The taliban built such a mosque in Spain, on the same land where they bombed an killed 1,000 spanish citizens. Sound familiar? An while freedom of religion is a great thing, this country was founded on Christianity, not islam. Which the members of islam have made them selves our enemy. So think about it. Do you really want people that come from a religion that killed brothers, an sisters, fathers, mothers, daughters, an sons worshiping on the area of attack? I dont think Its just me But I sure dont.

Once again, I would like to stress that I am not prejudice, I just think that we need to respect the victims of 9/11 and move the mosque.

Honestly, my prejudice? I have two best friends that are followers of Islam and they completely agree with me.

All that I am saying is that the elephant in the room is that it was an ISLAMIC attack. Here's an example:

There wouldn't be an all white church built near an infamous KKK attack, would there? It's not the people's fault that they're white, but they must respect that because powerful all white church goers were members of the KKK and did such a horrible thing, that maybe a church near the site would not be such a good idea.

Nearly the exact same concept but because Muslims are a minority in the United Staes, it is viewed as the big freedom of religion thing. I agree with saimne, we are still allowing them to freely worship just not so near ground zero.

saimne SILVER said...
saimne SILVER, Cerritos, California

I see humans, but no humanity.

prejudice? prejudice is rejecting the proposal to rebuild the greek orthodox church that was destroyed from the event but then considering building this on the site ! i dont see how relocating the mosque is prejudice, we are still allowing them to worship just not within this specific vicinity.

~Kahlil Gibran

As I said, building the mosque at Ground Zero symbolizes that we do not blame all Muslims for what happened. They had nothing to do with the incident. Your prejudice makes me so sad.

saimne SILVER said...
saimne SILVER, Cerritos, California

I see humans, but no humanity.

it is a form of humiliation to build your own on conquered land.... so that is a total slap in the face for the victims of 9/11, PLUS Imam is a supporter of HAMAS to make matters worse

saimne SILVER said...
saimne SILVER, Cerritos, California

I see humans, but no humanity.

then why cant we build it down the street or something ? if they want acceptance soooooo bad, they should be happy with it in any shape or form or, in this case, location.

Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

This radical Imam is such as detestable creature. He wishes to spread Sharia Law in the United States and he refused to denounce Hezbollah, a radical murderous regime.

Let us not lie to ourselves and pretend that this wasn't an act of intentional provocation. This is not about religious freedom. NOBODY is saying that Muslims cannot practice their religion. This is obviously not a First Amendment issue.

This is such a spit in the face to all those who were murdered that day and their families. There is no honor among those who wish for this mosque to be built. I cannot begin to imagine the suffering that these families had to endure, picturing scenarios of people literally being disintegrated and jumping out of windows.

All of these murderers shared a common religion and a common purpose. To pretend that these provocateurs have noble intentions is to lie to one's self.

~Kahlil Gibran

Whether you see it or not, you have let yourself identify all Muslims as terrorists. Open up your mind and FORGIVE the people that have done nothing wrong. I choose to ignore your jab at Obama. I'm sorry for my rant.

~Kahlil Gibran

Your attitude is close minded and malicious. 9/11 is not Islam's fault! The building of the mosque is a symbolic movement, and it should indicate to Muslims that we don't blame them for what happened. A few more breaths...

~Kahlil Gibran

I must count to ten, breathing deeply in and out and look at photos of adorable baby animals JUST to get my anger to abate. Hold on...