The Sports Revolution | Teen Ink

The Sports Revolution

December 2, 2010
By anbortle SILVER, Cochranville, Pennsylvania
anbortle SILVER, Cochranville, Pennsylvania
9 articles 1 photo 6 comments

How many teenagers do you know that are involved in sports? Sports are very popular in the Octorara Middle School. The school though, recently has cut many of the sports and has limited students to only a few. As a result, many of them don’t appeal to the students at all. All of the sports should be kept at OMS for the following reasons: Sports help students stay healthier, do better in academics, gain self-confidence, and stay out of trouble.

One of the most important things that results from playing sports is getting in shape. When children play sports, it helps them get fit and healthy. This will help fight against childhood obesity which is a large problem in the United States. Also, if children learn how to stay fit, they have a better chance at staying fit in their future. A study shows that if people are active in their younger years, they are 30 – 40% less likely to die from heart disease compared to the inactive “couch potato.” Kids need to go out and exercise to save their lives!


Academics should always come first, but did you know that sports help students do better in academics? According to the Women’s Sport Foundation, athletic students are three times more likely to graduate than someone who is not involved in sports. When children do sports, it encourages them to do better in school because students can not play sports until they receive good grades. Statistics show that students work harder and get better grades when they are athletic. Overall, students involved in sports do better in academics.

Middle school in one of the worst places for students because they tend to lose self-confidence. Doing sports helps students gain self-confidence. Sue Castle, the Executive Producer of PBS Sports, says “sports participation for young people has the power to combat everything from racism to low self-image, to the high school drop out.” Also, when students play sports and get healthy, they have a better self image. Sports will reduce the amount of depression in Middle School and make students feel better about themselves.

Sports will also help decrease the amount of discipline issues. According to a study done by the Women’s Sport Foundation, girls that play sports are 92% less likely to get involved in drugs. In addition, they are 80% less likely to get pregnant. School sports have the same rule for discipline and grades. If the students get into too much trouble, they are unable to participate in the sports. No more awkward talks with your child about them getting a detention.

The reasons that OMS should keep sports are: sports help the students stay healthy, get better grades, feel better about themselves, and get into less trouble. Therefore, OMS should rethink their decision on the sports program. Sports are a key part in a child’s life; It’s time to start a sport revolution.