The "free" American | Teen Ink

The "free" American

By bunbunthegerman SILVER, Islip Terrace, New York
bunbunthegerman SILVER, Islip Terrace, New York

Life is the school, Love, is the lesson

Oh America, your fruited plains your...what's the rest of the song? Does anyone know? Does anyone CARE is actually the question I should be asking. I am American and I am most definitely not free. None of us are free except legally. In America everyone is the same, everyone is restrained to the same path of life and everyone is unhappy. We all eat the same foods, go to schools with similar curriculums, listen to the same crappy music and are either accepted into this drone-controlled society or shunned. Obviously, I am a Shunned American. I live my life in a way that makes ME happy, and seems to confuse and make the drones apparently uncomfortable. People don't understand why I would rather read than go out, why I want to get along with my family or why I simply don't care what others think about anything I do. Because this country disappoints me so, I have turned to inner exploration. Exploration of the mind, and I have decided to surround myself with intellect instead of material; true friends instead of people who want to tear me down. At the end of the day we are all people, not "Americans." I am sad to report that I am spawn of a country that killed the Native Americans, enslaved the Africans, arrested Jim Morrison and sent 40,000 young boys to their deaths in the Vietnam war. So yes. We are free. We as PEOPLE are free to believe in emancipation of our minds, we are free to think and dream and create beautiful and constructive things! As Americans, we are forced to kill, forced to shun, forced to be jealous, depressed, disappointed and unaccepting of the fact that everyone is different. We need to be human, we need to be with nature not against it. We need to accept not disban. We as people, need to stop acting as "Americans" and start thinking like the humans we were born to be.

"It's the end of the world as we know it...if you want it to be."