Stop the fracking | Teen Ink

Stop the fracking

By Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York
Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

Water is one of the most important and beautiful resources that were given to us by mother nature. We see water as not only a source for survival, but for entertainment and many more advantages as well. In summer there is nothing better than a glass of clean and refreshing water, and not to mention the fun that we have when running around the sprinklers and feeling the coolness of the water. So do you ever imagine this all not being there anymore? Do you imagine not being able to drink water from your own sink, not running around the sprinklers, and let’s not forget the splashing with the water hose? All because of the dangers and risks you run whenever being in contact with water. Now why would your water be dangerous? That’s impossible, water is healthy, we drink it, we use, in fact we’ve been using it for the past generations. So why on earth would our water be dangerous? Well because there is this thing that we call Hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking” for short.
What is fracking you ask? I’ll be glad to tell you, fracking is the process that results in the creation of fractures in rocks. In this case the reason for why they are doing this is to get their hands on something called natural gas. Natural gas is famous for being known as a healthy source of energy, for being better than burned coal, which is not necessarily true, but that comes further on. What I want to start with is by making you aware that this process; hydraulic fracturing, is happening. Yes there are actual people who cannot drink from their own sink, who cannot use their own source of water and have to buy bottled water. Why though, why can’t they drink from their own water? Well that’s simple, because their water is contaminated with hundreds of chemicals, making the water hazardous and dangerous.
Imagine being offered thousands of dollars for just wells being drilled into some of your property, sounds like a good deal right? I mean it’s just a well, and you’re getting thousands of dollars in return, what could possibly go wrong? Sometimes you have to look deeper into the situation. In this one there are many things that could go wrong, it has happened and to a large amount of people. All around the United States, there are areas in which drilling has taken place. Oklahoma, Utah, Texas, Montana, Iowa, and many many more states have taken a turn to the worst. People who thought that were told hydraulic fracturing was safe, and that they had nothing to worry about, these people were being told lies. There are numerous of cases where people report health issues, everything leads up to the water, not the safe water they once had, but the one that they came to know after the drilling of the wells. There was an article released by the New York Times in 2009, by Charles Duhigg. It told the story of how environmental laws have been violated frequently, time after time. What I found most outrageous was the part where he told about people not being able to shower in their own home, in fear of their health. The family reported rashes on the skin of their young children, and many other health problems. As if that weren’t enough, the article tells more about the violations committed, and the lack of justice that was done. That was when I realized I wanted to learn more, could it really be all that bad? I mean the companies were doing it for a good cause, they wanted natural gas, which would better the environment, right?
I was wrong, they didn’t want to make the environment better, they didn’t want natural gas to make a healthier planet. No they wanted to get their hands on natural gas for their own profit. Gas companies didn’t care about whether the water was contaminated or not, nevertheless did they care about the environment. For one, natural gas isn’t as green as it is said to be. Natural gas is a myth; many people are fooled and told that is better for the environment. Well it’s not, natural gas is a fossil fuel, and even though it doesn’t release as much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, it holds an even worse green house gas; methane.
If methane is released directly into the atmosphere it can cause greater climate change than carbon dioxide. The myth on how natural gas is a better source of energy is not true. By this point there’s that question in your head: if hydraulic fracturing is so bad…then why hasn’t it been stopped? There are many answers to that question, one is because it has been said that hydraulic fracturing provides people with jobs, and our economy will be better. Another is because even after all the evidence, gas companies refuse to take responsibility for their actions, using the excuse that it is not their fault. And let’s face it, people need the money, and some don’t mind taking the risk of their water becoming harmful, some don’t even realize how critical the case is. In spite of that, there are people out there, people who d realize the harmful effects that fracking can cause, and these people are the one who are fighting for the purity and future of water.
Even though there are already many states where the companies have been and gone, they won’t stop until they have covered every piece of land where there is natural gas. There has been controversy on the state of New York, on whether hydraulic fracturing should be allowed or completely banned. Gas companies want to drill wells into the Marcellus Shale, which is New York’s main source of water, where the water that New York is known for comes from. There are not many people who are aware of this, and when I found out, I was outraged. I didn’t realize the threat that hydraulic fracturing actually held. Then I began to research the case furthermore, and I found all these different facts, and heard all these heartbreaking stories of people who had allowed fracking into their land. That’s when I decided to take action, there was a letter written to the state representative, asking for the Moratorium to be passed. The moratorium simply was a bill that would pause any kind of hydraulic fracturing, until a reasonable conclusion was made. It worked the moratorium was passed; all that was left to do was for the governor to sign the moratorium. Unfortunately the governor didn’t sign the moratorium, but he did ban a very dangerous form of drilling. This wasn’t enough though; I felt that if we were ever to make an important decision, like whether to ban fracking or allow it, we needed time. Time to think things over, to let the Environmental Protection Agency make a clear investigation on fracking and its dangers. So I wrote a letter to the new governor, Governor Cuomo.
My testimonial stated facts and my own opinion as well. We as teenagers are constantly being told to think before we act-- to think of the consequences that our actions will have not only on us, but on others too. So I asked for at least time, time to think and actually be sure of what this will do to New York. To make sure we really are ready for this change, and if there are consequences -- we can face them like we should. Most of all I asked to think not only of the present, but of the future. Think of further generations being able to drink the same healthy and clean water that we have today.
Think about it, this is not only affecting this generation, but the ones after us, and after them. I believe hydraulic fracturing should be stopped, but if not that at least we deserve to know the dangers and solutions for them. I wrote this to make you aware of what is happening, many not know, and I want for people to know that these horrors are happening. If this ever does come anywhere near where you live, take action and join me on this fight. Are we willing to lose a lifetime supply of clean water for this thing called fracking?

This was something that i wrote after a i found about this in school. I wanted to bring this to people's awareness since i didn't know about it till nine weeks ago. I hope this actually makes a difference. If you would like to know more please contact me, or leave a comment. =D

Saa2351 said...
This is great ! I really enjoyed this article because it gives accurate information. There is still some grammar errors in this article but overall it's quite understandable. This article should definitely be viewed by congress.

sowavy said...
It's good to see how much you care about the issue. You wrote a lot and gave a lot of great information that will benefit people and get them aware. Good job

That was a really good article i learned allot. You should send this to someone of high power so that this problem will be more known

syr4665 said...
This article was very informative and helped me understand hydrofracking

Tim1 said...
This is a great article and portrays good points, but is very bias.

Sara05550 said...
You have a lot of good information, and it's written nicely and in a way which captivates the reader. I suggest proof reading it though, there seem to be multiple grammer errors. Other than that, it's very interesting and informative!

ssg3180 said...
I really enjoyed this article. I learned a lot about the situation taking place and I like how the author took action to try to stop the things going on. It was a well written article that I think people in congress should read =D