The 2012 Presidential Elections Don't Matter | Teen Ink

The 2012 Presidential Elections Don't Matter

By Desmothenes Locke GOLD, Cresskill, New Jersey
Desmothenes Locke GOLD, Cresskill, New Jersey

The 2012 presidential elections don’t matter at all. No matter who the president is, the results are the same. All presidents care about is staying in power. Presidents, will often forgo the right decision for the popular one.
Whether Republican or Democrat, our country hasn’t seen much change over the past decade. Each of our past few presidents, have made decisions that have benefited themselves over the country. The end result of any Presidential election is the same; no matter who is sitting in the oval office our country continues so stray from the values this country was built upon.

Since presidents or presidential candidates care most about staying in power, they spend more time insulting their political enemies than trying to benefit the country. In the months leading up to the elections, most of the stories we hear from the media are about the presidential candidates expressing their concerns over the other candidates policies. Rather than discussing ideas about how best to solve our countries problems, the presidential candidates spend valuable time and money on negative ad campaigns targeting each other.

Presidents will often forgo their past promises as candidates, and completely contradict other promises. George Bush as a candidate promised the people that the government would follow environmental laws. However, he let the Department of Defense be exempt from the restrictions of the environmental laws. Another instance is Obama's closing of Guantanamo Bay, proclaiming that the prison was inhumane. Soon enough, he reopened the prison despite his previous promises as a candidate.

George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were great men who led the United States with decisiveness and courage. Abraham Lincoln stood up against slavery despite the fact that half the country was against him. He never faltered, and he never backed down. These men brought glory and pride to our country. However, our current leaders lack all the traits that made us so strong. Nowadays, the role of presidents is only taken on by politicians seeking self-gain. Politicians are the epitome of cowardice, indecisiveness, and insincerity. Why should the elections matter when the candidates lack necessary traits for leading a country? No matter who we elect this year, the next presidents is bound to continue the cycle and let our country slide farther and farther away from our ideals.

No matter who is elected as the next president, don't get your hopes up.

Man I like your writing :D 

Thank you for your consideration Mr. Josh S. My negativity is well justified, if maybe a little exxagerated. But perhaps Mr. Josh, this website is for teen's not adults. 

Josh Sudarma said...
Josh Sudarma, Fort Lee, New Jersey
I like this article although I have to agree with the other posters that it is a little negative. I do understand that you're being a little extreme in order to make your point though. It does seem that many presidents are just a continuation of the previous one.

Political candidates 99% percent of the time are unable to keep all their promises to the people. You're absolutely right, its idiotic to think that what they promise is actually what they will do. What I'm saying is why candidates shouldn't be promising things that either they can't complete, or realize that its a mistake. Obama was foolish for closing Guantamino Bay in the first place. He should have known that its a necessity.

I would never want to be a politician either due to the fact that I have to compromise my own beliefs to accomplish goals. An example is Ron Paul. I'm not agreeing with what that man says, but he is one of the few politicians that has kept his policies consistent for his whole career as a politician. He is painted by the media as an idiot and is never treated seriously.

I appreciate your constructive criticizm though.

Cooper_W SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia

It's unrealistic and ignorant to expect political candidates to keep every promise they make while campaigning, and not because they're shallow liers who only care about votes. I'm sure Obama had every intention of closing Guantanamo Bay when he took power, but when he became president he realized that there was more to it than what he knew before he was in power. He realized that Guantanamo Bay wasn't created just so the government could laugh evilly, it was created to help ensure the safety of America.

It's too easy to be cynical about things. If you feel so strongly about this, work to become the politician that truly works for a better America.

wally123 said...

Great article! I don't agree with everything you said but I get that you're exagerating a little to make your point; the current presidents aren't having a big enough positive impact on the county.

I agree with that.

I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate your response. There are definetely some issues that Obama and Romney won't "Heel-Face-Turn" (I like that expression) on but Obama has proven that you can never be certain. Despite arguing that the Healthcare is not a tax, it has been ruled one. But thank you for being understanding of my ideas.

fatimaaa BRONZE, Murrysville, Pennsylvania

"It doesn't matter how slow you go, so as long as you don't stop." - Wisdom of Confucius

Many leaders do have the tendency to waver, but political corruption isn't a new phenomanon. Just look at the political machines in the Gilded Age. It's a tad too cynical to assume that our country is more screwed up now than it was in the past, because throughout our history, we've always had problems and problematic leaders (e.x. Andrew Johnson was probably our most racist president).

I also feel like there are at least a few things on both Romney's and Obama's platforms that they won't do a Heel-Face-Turn on.