Dear Mr. President | Teen Ink

Dear Mr. President

November 30, 2012
By Jackson Abresch BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jackson Abresch BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

October 30, 2012

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President,

Unemployment—however you look at it, it affects almost every citizen of the United States. If you’re jobless, it alters your ability to provide for your family. And that has an effect on your children and how they grow up—which I can attest to. My dad has lost his job twice within the past ten years. It was frightening not knowing what could happen. And it’s not just about concern involving paying bills. It also causes emotional hardships and loss of morale. And even depression.

Countless Americans are concerned. And with a very slow job recovery, I think it’s obvious that unemployment is an important issue. I, like many others, believe unemployment is the most vital issue for our country because of the numerous effects it has on how we live.

According to forecasts.org, the unemployment rate is expected to increase in the near future. Something needs to be done to create jobs. And that needs to happen quickly. The anger many Americans have about unemployment is heightening. So, in your upcoming four year term, creating jobs should be your initial objective. There are many ways to create jobs. One of the most effective ways would be to cut the corporate tax rate. According to taxfoundation.org it would improve our countries competitiveness. A lower corporate tax rate is beneficial, according to nytimes.com, stating that a higher corporate tax rate leaves American companies at a competitive disadvantage. “Under the current tax system, the United States will soon have the highest statutory corporate tax rate among developed countries,” said a senior administration official. Competitiveness is a good thing. It stimulates growth for the whole economy. That’s what we need—growth.

With high unemployment, it is hard for the economy to grow at a healthy pace. In general, as unemployment rises inflation follows a similar model. Also, the gross domestic product growth rate tends to be lower when there is high unemployment. These are the patterns we see when the economy is in a recession. They’re the opposite of good economic growth.

The nation is relying on you, Mr. President. For too long Americans have been waiting for improvement. You need to do everything possible to create jobs as quickly as you can. It’s what is best for the people. I hope you take this into consideration and move this country in a better direction. And ultimately help the economy grow. Improvement, Mr. President. We need it.

Thank you,
Jackson A.