Homeward Bound | Teen Ink

Homeward Bound

May 21, 2013
By Anonymous

Ten years ago, a new girl moved to our school. Naturally, we became fast friends and one night I went to her house for dinner. As I was leaving, her mother told me a startling fact. My friend, one of the happiest people I knew, was found abandoned on a bridge in China shortly after her birth. Her parents adopted internationally and their daughter began a journey of endless opportunity in America.

With Vladimir Putin’s ban on American adoption from Russia, the issue of international adoption recently came back into the spotlight. His justification comes from a belief that American families are cruel to adopted Russian children. Others believe the ban contains political motivations as a counterattack to an American law against Russian human rights violations. Whatever the reasons, international adoption should continue with Russia, and other countries, because the benefits of a better life for the children outweigh the potential negatives.

In many circumstances, an orphan’s native country presents rules or conditions that make a productive and fulfilling life for them nearly impossible. The most famous example is China’s one child rule. The Chinese government’s solution to overpopulation results in many children being put into orphanages or cast off entirely, like my friend. Also, an Interfax Russian Poll said 81% of Russians are unwilling to adopt. This means many native orphans will never find a home in their own country due to disinclined adults. For these kids to have any hope of a home, their best bet lies in overseas families willing and able to adopt.

After undergoing strict screening processes, both children and adoptive parents can enjoy the benefits of international adoption. Children, especially in a wealthy country such as the U.S., would have greater opportunities for proper care, education, culture and entertainment. They would have the experience of growing up in a home with a true sense of family.
Not only do children benefit from international adoption, but parents reap rewards, too. Adults who long planned on having children, yet who cannot conceive, may still fulfill their dream of raising a family. The opportunity to build a diverse family may allow them to expand their cultural horizons.

Many people are wary of international adoption because they fear child trafficking and loss of racial identity, among other things. However, there are strict procedures already in place when potential parents submit to adopt internationally. They must undergo background checks and other tests to determine if they are suitable for the child. Also, there are cultural schools in the U.S., where a child’s traditional culture and customs can be preserved.

Without international adoption, I would have missed out on some wonderful adventures with my friend from China. Putin and Russia might be reluctant to let the U.S. in, but the people who suffer the most from this decision are the people they are claiming to protect: its children.