Signed Sincerely (Dear America) | Teen Ink

Signed Sincerely (Dear America)

By Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas

We accept the love we think we deserve.

To be honest, I’m not really sure how I feel about you. I mean, you’re “Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.” That’s great and all, but is it true? I might eliminate the brave part. Look at all the dirt-poor countries in the world. Children die of starvation and disease every day, yet you sit here and take advantage of every little freedom that you have. You’re so scared to give even a fraction of it away. You don’t even realize how fortunate you are, do you, America? I think you’ve forgotten how this country is supposed to be run: “One nation under God.” If you were REALLY one nation under God, don’t you think you’d be helping other nations? You’re selfish. When you’re in trouble you run to someone else for help but you don’t return it when they need it. If you think planting a bomb in another country is helpful, guess again. We may be separate lands but aren’t we all under the same sky? It’s the same sky I look into every night and wonder what’s happening to us. ‘Us’ referring to the world. While you’re sitting home at night relaxing and watching HD television, some orphan kids are wondering how to feed their little siblings. Some children are freezing. Some people are getting killed for their religion choices. America, appreciate what you have. I don’t say all this to make you feel guilty, but I want to make you understand that you need to change. You can’t keep living for yourself. You’re a beautiful land and I’d hate to see you crumble. I mean, the government’s already shut down. Is that what you want to be known for? Running from your problems and shutting down? People say that the government shut down because you couldn’t afford to pay them, but you’ll pay them when everything starts up again (IF everything starts up again). So basically wars are going on in countries around you, you continue to make trillions of dollars of weaponry that we could probably live without so much of, you put your employees on a paid vacation, and you sit and watch. You’re one of the richest countries in the whole world. Why not share? Why not give up just a tiny bit of what you have to make someone else’s day? No wonder so many countries dislike you. You hold grudges like there’s no tomorrow, you’re selfish (which I believe I have already mentioned) and come on, do you REALLY care about anyone but yourself (which I guess goes along with selfish)? This country was formed on love, selflessness, liberty, justice, bravery, and God. Let’s get it back to the way it was. I may not be much of a writer but I still have a voice. I intend to use that voice. America, I’m sorry for being so harsh. You’re a great country, but some things you really need to change. I’m saying this for the better. It may hurt to change, it may just completely break your heart; but if you don’t do it, things could just get worse. I know that the world’s a complete broken bone, but it’s your chance to mend it. It’ll probably be painful and it’s not something many people would willingly do. Why change if you’re happy? Why change if your life is perfect? Well, put yourself in someone else’s position. Think of all the kids that are starving in the streets of other countries or maybe someone who has lost a loved one in a war. Your life wouldn’t be perfect then, and you probably wouldn’t be happy. So please, please, make a change. You can do it, I know you can. The world doesn’t deserve good, the world deserves great. I know you can be great.

Signed Sincerely,

Me.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this article, so please don't take it personally! It was for school and I'd never purposely intend to offend somebody.