The Day No Mice Will Die | Teen Ink

The Day No Mice Will Die

February 26, 2014
By hgjohnson GOLD, Nerstrand, Minnesota
hgjohnson GOLD, Nerstrand, Minnesota
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

According to the Humane Society an estimated 25 million animals are used in scientific tests every year. Unfortunately it is a necessary evil. Animal testing finds the cures that technology hasn't been able to. Eventually, we develop the technology that will put us in the history books as monsters. Most people are very one sided about animal testing, either for furthering research at the expense of our critters or protecting the animals and living in a rather stoic age. But what if there was a resolution to both dilemmas?

Animal testing is extremely helpful in furthering our medical knowledge. The Animal Research Info organization says that the drugs Herceptin and Tamoxifen, which aid our neverending fight to cure breast cancer, were discovered using rats. Scientists found that hormone changes induced breast tumors in the rats. Herceptin and Tamoxifen stabilize these hormone levels to reduce the risk of breast cancer. Also, we would not be able to accurately detect HIV and AIDS without our furry friend the chimpanzee. A group of them were injected with HIV then given the ELISA serum. The scientists were able to detect the HIV in the chimpanzees. The ELISA serum is still the most accurate way to test for HIV and AIDS. But don't think that nothing is protecting these animals. The Animal Welfare Act protects all warm blooded animals with the exception of rats, mice and birds. It regulates the following; housing, handling, sanitation, food, water, and veterinary care. But not everyone obeys the law.

Scientists dont always double check the standards. Take the Virginia Commonwealth University for example, they were irresponsible enough to leave a live rabbit inside a cage before it went through a washing system. This washing system can reach up to 180 degrees, roasting the rabbit alive.

Humans and and animals are not the same so the tests are not 100% reliable. For instance, morphine causes hyper excitement in cats but has a calming effect on humans. It is also extremely expensive to test on animals. The cheapest test is a skin corrosion test, using rabbit skin, which costs $1,800. Some, such as the rat 24 month cancer bioassay, cost as much as $700,000. This is why we need to cut down on animal testing.

Fortunately scientists have finally come up with alternatives. The WYSS institute is engineering an organ in a chip. An organ chip is a chip that simulates the activities, mechanics, and physiological responses of an entire organ. Since they will contain human tissue and blood they will be 99% accurate, much more accurate than an animal. Unfortunately they can’t simulate everything, so animal testing is still needed but at a severely reduced rate. But someday animal testing will be completely eradicated.

Until then we will continue to reduce the number of animals used in scientific research. Animal testing is expensive and some scientist are careless. Even so, today it’s the most accurate form of testing products and medication. But someday the 25 million animals being tested on will be reduced to a much more comprehendible number.