An open letter to everyone. | Teen Ink

An open letter to everyone.

April 24, 2014
By LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
60 articles 2 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27


I saw the headline- "Most Influential". My curiosity was roused, and I clicked on the link. The article listed several people, the number one being Beyonce. I didn't know that much about her, so I read a snippet. What I saw disturbed me. It claimed that Beyonce was very firm on her belief that women 'run the world' and 'I'm not bossy, I'm the boss." among other names was Miley Cyrus, who wore a VERY skimpy outfit in concert, and has no respect for her family.
Let's not forget that on the cover of TIMES magazine, Beyonce was wearing an outfit that was basically underwear with a thin veil.
I wasn't able to find th e rest of the list, but I think if I had, I would have been sick.

I'm thinking: "Whoa. What happened to this generation?"

In 1999, the list of most influential people was topped with: Albert Einstien, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Nelson Mandela, Steven Spielberg, and Ghandi.

What do you think is more influential:
a singer who shows her body, a scientist who explains or invents something, a film-maker who shows a story, or a politician to speak ideas?

But even though our current 'world-opinion' may be a disgusting turn-out, this isn't the end.

You're here. I'm here. We're here. And it's time to change. We have all of these amazing gifts God has given us! Take a moment to realize that you're breathing! Really look at your hand. Isn't it awesome?!
You can talk! But let's not just talk; let's say something. People complain about life not being fair, and it's not; but instead of griping about it, why not try to make another someone's day special. We don't have to fight. One of my favorite quotes and examples of this is what lord Charles Fox says at the end of Amazing Grace:
"When people speak of great men, they think of men like Napoleon - men of violence. Rarely do they think of peaceful men. But contrast the reception they will receive when they return home from their battles. Napoleon will arrive in pomp and in power, a man who's achieved the very summit of earthly ambition. And yet his dreams will be haunted by the oppressions of war. William Wilberforce, however, will return to his family, lay his head on his pillow and remember: the slave trade is no more."

What is our slave trade?
Who will be a Wilberforce?
Who will change the world?
Normal people like you and me. And we don't even have to wait until we're grown up! Clara Barton started her medical work when she was a teen! In the war of 1812, a British ship was captured by the Americans, and the captain put a twelve year-old in charge. That boy grew up to be a navy hero!
Changing the world isn't as huge as it sounds. Just saying something nice to someone can change their life.
If someone looks sad and lonely, ask them if they want to sit with you! You never know what they're thinking of doing to themselves, or others.
Our literary culture is sinking like the Titanic! Write something worth reading! Sex is not inspiring. Hope and love are inspiring!
Kids are killing themselves! Try to help them.

I don't know everything; I'm just a kid from small-town America, but I do know that we've got the power of words and art at our fingertips. Will you use it?
When you do, you may not get immediate results. People in his time HATED Beethoven's music, but after his death it skyrocketed into popularity!

Guys- You're head of the house; set standards for future generations. Your kids will look up to you.
Girls- You don't have to sell yourself with your body, and the men are the leaders, even though you're equally smart. I'm not sorry to bust Beyonce's bubble.

It's our time. Let's get crackin'.


"You come of the lord Adam and lady Eve," said Aslan, "And that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the head of the greatest emperor.."- C.S. Lewis' Prince Caspian.

"Speak life,
through the deadest, darkest night...
when the sun won't shine and you don't know why.
Look into the eyes of the brokenhearted,
watch them come alive as soon as you speak hope,
you speak love, you speak...you speak life...
Lift your thoughts a little higher,
use your words to inspire.."
-Speak life, Tobymac

"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
- Joshua 24:15


The author's comments:
Do not only read this,
Think of this.