The Politics of Fashion | Teen Ink

The Politics of Fashion

July 11, 2014
By Lp0214 SILVER, Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Lp0214 SILVER, Longmeadow, Massachusetts
6 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The cure for boredom is curiosity.
There is no cure for curiosity.”
― Dorothy Parker


Some of the things people say online just amaze me. Last week, I managed to stumble upon an article dedicated exclusively to Hilary Clinton’s new hairstyle. At the end of the column, I found a comments section. I started to read through them….what a mistake. My favorite, by far, was a paragraph-long rant, written by a reader who claimed, among other things, that Hilary’s new hairstyle renders her unfit for the 2016 presidential election. Half of me broke out laughing; the other half was seriously offended. Whether or not you approve of Hilary Clinton, you have to admire the woman for all the nonsense she has put up with from the media…and not just her. Nearly all females even loosely associated with politics are victims of image-related press attacks.

Why is it that the media only attacks female politicians for their appearance? If a male senator goes to work wearing a clashing tie and shirt combination, no one gives it a second notice. When Hilary Clinton wears another one of her signature pantsuits to a state affair, the press throws a powwow (and for those who continue to berate Hilary’s signature look, those pantsuits landed her an award from Michael Kors and Anna Wintour). I can’t imagine having to deal with half the amount of image-bashing Hilary Clinton receives. If she wears a skirt that is cut above the knees, the press calls her a tarte; if she wears a buttoned-up coat and suit combination, they say she is a frumpy, old woman. A male president would have to arrive at a meeting pants-less to receive half the criticism Hilary dealt with after she wore a hairclip. When a male candidate makes a public speech, the first things the journalists attack him for are his policies; when a female candidate voices her opinion, the immediate reaction is usually to her outfit and looks.

Some female politicians attempt to ignore the issue of image; they dress in simple suits and un-styled hair. However, the most influential female politicians acknowledge that image does matter and use it to their advantage. Although not officially a politician, Michelle Obama has greatly influenced America, not only with her programs, but with her style. Mrs. Obama is the master of power-dressing. She balances style and strength with perfect grace; her ensembles are chic enough to maintain attention, yet demure enough not to divert attention away from her. While some refuse to wear anything but suits, Michelle Obama is not afraid to strut out in a little black dress. However, the media still manages to attack even the impeccably-dressed Mrs. Obama. A few years ago, she was seen at a meeting wearing a sleeveless, black sheath. Several papers dubbed her choice in attire as inappropriate. Honestly?

I am the first person to acknowledge that the media, and people in general, will always judge appearances. I do not expect that to change. Anyways, it is not always a negative thing; signature style is a fantastic way to distinguish one’s self from the rest. What I do hope will change is the media’s habit of bashing only females on their clothing selections. If women are expected do dress like they have just exited Paris Fashion Week, their male counterparts should be held to the same standards.