Iraqi War on Terrorism: A New New Deal? | Teen Ink

Iraqi War on Terrorism: A New New Deal?

By dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina
dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina

"Certain things catch your eye,
But pursue only those
that capture your heart.
"

While America should have never gone to war in Iraq for a “war on terrorism”, the fact is that we’re there. As, that is, we have a responsibility to stay; it is in the best interests of both the United States and Iraq.
Iraq poses as a threat to the American way of life and the newfound democracy being born in the Middle Eastern country. First and foremost, and perhaps most scary of all, a major security threat has potential to brutally destroy millions of lives. Second, after demolishing the country, it must be rebuilt. Lastly, our country has a horrible deficit. We all know that, but what not all of us know is that, with capable leadership, we have the opportunity to create a newer New Deal.

The security threat Iraq poses is reminiscent of post WWI Germany. Have you forgotten what happened? Let’s take a moment to review. The Allies decimated Germany, a major contender of the Central Powers. Later, prior to WWII, Germany was desperate to be carried from beneath the destruction and sanctions that were placed on her. Germany was in dire need of a savior. It just so happened that that “savior” was a brilliant, power-hungry man who cost over 11 million deaths. What’s to say it won’t happen again? Al Qaeda and the Taliban have already shown considerable interest in the oil rich nation.

Reconstruction in Iraq is desperately needed. In Fallujah alone, it is reported that 20 children die each day. And yet people want our troops out now? Life, in Iraq, has become so much better due to the extensive efforts of our troops to bring equality and justice to a nation, to a people so wrongly denied the three basic freedoms of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We cannot leave just as the people, held so long in ruthless tyranny, begin to see that it can be better, that things can change, and good can prevail even if you must fight to savor the taste of freedom. Freedom that has been so long denied the tortured palate of Iraq. It would be a wonderful chance to build political allies and prove to the world that Americans aren’t greedy; that we don’t intend on policing the globe.

Economically, our livelihoods could change dramatically. We could use the reconstruction to satisfy both the needs of the United States and of Iraq. Perhaps a New Deal type of plan could be enacted. Hundreds of jobs could created, gas prices could go down (granted we would have potential exclusive access to Iraq’s oil industry), and we’d have an influential ally in the Middle East. That, in turn, would help our nation’s deficit; reduce the amount of people on welfare, all while simultaneously building foreign affair relations.

As I have stated before, I believe strongly that U.S. troops should remain in Iraq. It, as unfortunate as it is that we are there, opens up a world of possibilities in both our nation and foreign nations” favor, something we mustn’t take for granted. And to not take advantage of the current situation would be utterly idiotic.

ClemsonRocks said...
ClemsonRocks,
this article is good

AliMotamedi said...
on Jun. 7 2013 at 10:07 am
AliMotamedi, Ampang, Other
you are right, but wouldn't it be better if besides tanks there were normal cars, or man with guns and armour there were normal looking fellows going arounf helping. true at first it would be very hard to handle but this way it is easier for others to accept each other as well. think for the Iraqi people for a minute, would you like to see tanks and soldiers everyday of your life. you wouldn't, so why should they?

Cole Y. said...
I totally agree!

Amybriege SILVER, Cambridge, Other

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resigned.

Really liked your article, well done :) 

"Certain things catch your eye,
But pursue only those
that capture your heart.
"

hi! if you read this, pleae leave a comment!